How big?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Bigbuck
Fawn
Fawn

How big?

Post by Bigbuck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:56 pm

So, my scenario is this...my wife drew a Vernon rifle tag, and I have done tons of research on the unit including 6 scouting trips. The problem is I'm not sure how big of a Buck to settle with or pass up for that matter. Its not all about the score or anything I just want to make sure this tag is put to its use being limited entry and all. We haven't seen a ton of huge bucks, mostly 3.5 year olds. I was thinking this tag deserves 180" but am I aiming too high? What do you guys think? Just curious on other people thoughts. We are young and are willing to hike our buts off and we have a four Wheeler to get us where we need to go. We also have all 9 days off of work for the hunt. I look forward to some feedback. Also...this is our first limited entry hunt...thanks guys..

Nvbuck
Fawn
Fawn

Re: How big?

Post by Nvbuck » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:08 am

Hey Big did you go out last weekend?

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 am

Well BigBuck,

If you would have asked your question before I went on my first limited entry hunt this year I was all about holding out for a big representative bull elk for the area I hunted. I was disillusioned and thought that I'd have multiple opportunities to pass on smaller bulls. I ended up shooting the first bull I had a chance on after 6 hard days of hunting. It wasn't as big as I hoped for but I'm glad I didn't get skunked.

Now your hunt may be completely different. I hope you get the chance to pass multiple bucks and see 180"s to go after. Just ask yourself what you would be satisfied with. What do you have on your wall right now? Is it realistic to set a goal of something better than you currently have? If yes then go for it. Just remember that sometimes passing a nice buck on opening day ends up haunting you the rest of the hunt. It may turn out that it is the best buck you have a chance on. If you'd feel fine about knowing that you could have had that buck, but stuck to your guns on going out for bigger then good on you. If your like me and would stew over it for the next hard 6 - 9 days of hunting then maybe it's better to take the oportunity when it comes up.

The most important thing is to have fun while your out there. Take pictures each day. Just enjoy the hunt and whatever you connect on will be awesome.

Best of luck to you.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Bigbuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bigbuck » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Nvbuck wrote:Hey Big did you go out last weekend?
Nope. I didn't. Last minute decided to hit the uintahs to fill my elk tag...it was a good decision...I shot a spike before 8am on the opener...headed to Vernon Friday...

shootinfool
Fawn
Fawn

Post by shootinfool » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:22 pm

PM sent Big Buck

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 pm

never pass an animal the first day you would gladly pack out on the last day. saying i read once and have been trying to put into effect...
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:12 am

amp713 wrote:never pass an animal the first day you would gladly pack out on the last day.
+1
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals