Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Goofy Elk
Spike
Spike

Option #2 passed at RACs,,,3-2

Post by Goofy Elk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:41 am

After last nights vote in Vernal (NE) , Option 2 made a sweep this week
at the RAC meetings in the Southern, South east, and North east regions..

Looks like were headed for individual deer unit management in Utah.
Very similar to Nevada, Arizona, and Colorado.

I've been on the other forums (and a couple RACs) supporting option 2,
I don't really like the lost opportunity for hunters, but, The regional management
they have used since 93 could obviously not working very well.....IMO.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Option #2 passed at RACs,,,3-2

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for the update, doesn't necessarily mean that just because the RACS voted that. BUT your likely correct IMO. I'm just afraid this is going to turn SO. REGION into a limited entry all over the place. Be tough to draw tags IMO.

I'm just not a believer in this, HOPE I'm wrong though.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 am

Not sure im a fan either. Sucks that we are gonna lose 13000 tags that we will probably never get back. Sucks that archers wont have the statewide hunt. Sucks that it may mean only being able to hunt every 3-4 years if tags keep getting taken away.

Brett, how was it not hunting this year?? How fun was it tagging along with your other family members with a tag and you were left without? How upset will you be if you dont draw again this coming year? (sorry for putting you on the spot)

How are we gonna keep the young kids involved in this sport if they cant hunt.
Watch your top knot!

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Personally I would rather chase better deer on average and hunt every few years and pay a higher fee than hunt every year. I am all for managing a better deer herd. If this is the best possiblilty than i am all for it.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:03 pm

skysthelimit wrote:Personally I would rather chase better deer on average and hunt every few years and pay a higher fee than hunt every year. I am all for managing a better deer herd. If this is the best possiblilty than i am all for it.
What is your idea of a better herd? Bigger deer does not necessarily mean a better deer herd.

9er
Watch your top knot!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:01 pm

If #2 goes through, in a few years I'm afraid things won't improve...might be worse...and people will complain the same if not more. Then they will say we want something different done, the DWR will say this IS what you voted/wanted. And we or some will say I know but we weren't as smart as we thought we were and we were wrong. DWR will say (laughing) we already knew that in the first place. Why do you think we preferred #1.

HOPE I'M WRONG!! (Matter of fact, I'd LOVE to be wrong) AND you can call me out on it if I am, no offense. I'll humbly ask for your apologies. :) [-o<
Brett, how was it not hunting this year?? How fun was it tagging along with your other family members with a tag and you were left without? How upset will you be if you dont draw again this coming year? (sorry for putting you on the spot)
9er you might not like my response, but I had a blast tagging along with my 2 brothers and Dad this year. Always do, hope I always will. I would have preferred to have a tag sure, but I didn't get my 'panties in a wad' when I didn't draw. Sure I was a little disappointed, but hey life goes on. The man upstairs isn't going to ask me how many deer I shot in my lifetime or if I had a tag ever year...but he'll likely ask a few other questions that'll sink in much deeper than a deer tag.

Don't get me wrong, wouldn't mind hunting Mule Deer in heaven. lol

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 pm

Brett, I agree with you on thinking option#2 isnt gonna help the herds.

And what i should of asked was, what if you or family member didnt draw a tag, or didnt draw a tag for 4-5 years and you had no deer hunt to participate it. How would you feel?

ps to brett: Please help my case here, not like your last response lol Im like you, if i know for a fact that either me, my bro or dad could have a tag every year i could probably live, but any wait longer just SUCKS
Watch your top knot!

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:26 pm

IMO a better herd is seeing more bucks on the hoof and seeing bigger bucks. That is a better herd. Like i said, I am not sure what the best option for this is. Option two could be harder on our herds than the other two options. I just dont mind paying more or hunting less to have a better hunt and not see orange everywhere i go. I love hunting the front but you drive up little or big cottonwood, parleys or emigration any day in November and there are trucks parked along the entire road. I dont mind sharing the mtn but like i said, i would rather only get to hunt the front every three years and see a lot less people and less pressure than hunt every year. I have hunted colorado and wyoming which imo have done some positive things. Our unit in wyoming we only get to hunt every other year or so. We love it because on average we see much better deer and less people.

Again, maybe option one or three is better for what i want. I am not as familiar with all the options and what the short and long term effects may be on our deer. This is just my opinion.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 am

IMO a better herd is seeing more bucks on the hoof and seeing bigger bucks. That is a better herd.
Don't know if it's a BETTER herd, but a more FUN herd. More exciting, more of a cool or wow factor. Awesome, sweet, nice, 'did you see that' factor on bucks. MOST CERTAINLY YES. I'd love it also, not sure it's every really reality like people are wanting it to be or thinking it should/will be though. But I'd love to see bigger bucks, trust me. :)

9er,
ps to brett: Please help my case here, not like your last response
I was SICK to my stomach cause I didn't draw a tag, vomiting, nausea, headaches, OCD, ADD, crying at night. YES 9er it's been pure MISERY and HORRIBLE. What a rough year and past few months. I WILL NOT make it through next year if I don't draw. lol
Couldn't afford the therapy bills anymore, so medication is taking the sting off now. :)) :))
And what i should of asked was, what if you or family member didnt draw a tag, or didnt draw a tag for 4-5 years and you had no deer hunt to participate it. How would you feel?
Okay you got me on that one, yea not fun and certainly a bigger problem. I'd still get out and film/photograph. But my family wouldn't. Not so fun, on the bright side I'd call you 9er and we would go find some bucks to film. :)

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Okay you got me on that one, yea not fun and certainly a bigger problem. I'd still get out and film/photograph. But my family wouldn't. Not so fun, on the bright side I'd call you 9er and we would go find some bucks to film. :)[/quote]

Thanks for throwing me a bone!!! lol If this does happen i may learn how to take a decent picture with you teaching me

Whatever happens happens, it will be something we have to deal with. I just hope its best for the deer and not the "Inches" crowd
Watch your top knot!