Hey ColoradoBuck, need your help

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Hey ColoradoBuck, need your help

Post by deerhuntenokie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Coloradobuck, or anyone else that might have wisdom they are willing to share. My hunting partner and I are considering applying for the muzzleloading elk hunt in unit 44. Mainly becasue we only have 2 points for elk and we might have a chance in 44 but also becasue we have 7 points for deer and are wanting to hunt this area when we get enough points saved up so thought we could do a little scouting while enjoying a decent elk hunt. 2 questions are the powerbelt bullets legal in Colorado and do you think we will have to get back into the wilderness areas to find elk that time of year. We are in no way trophy hunting, any legal bull will tickle us.
deerhuntenokie

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Re: Hey ColoradoBuck, need your help

Post by Coloradobuck » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm

im not sure bout the bullet youed have to look that up and in all honesty in 44 for elk if you want a decent bull you have to get off the trail a bit. theres alot of elk but if ya walk back a few miles in to the deeper bowls and dark tember clear cut areas you will find some good ones. let me no when your comein up for some scoutn i might just want to help out ;) and do a little scoutn my self haha but yea you will need to get back in the country a bit and go up high i know a bowl where theres alot of elk year round in not to many people hunt it till rifle season and its not that bad of a hike! ive seen alot of good 300 class bulls in there even seen one that i think could have scored 325-330 and the bucks in there are huge!! but its a nice bowl with dark tember on one side a clear cut on the other with a constant flow of water and lots of good aspens and grass and sage ! -Buck
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:59 pm

I've always been curious about the Powerbelts in CO. The regs state that sabots are not legal and that round balls or conical projectiles are legal. Not sure where Powerbelts fit in.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deerhuntenokie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks Buck, you would be more than welcome to come along on a scouting trip. We may have to tie a rock to your foot so we can stay up with you. Actuallly we would like to spike camp in 2 or 3 miles to do our hunting so a hidden bowl off the beaten path would suit us fine . If we get drawn, I will let you know then maybe we can exchange phone numbers. We will probably stay in Eagle the first night or two. If you know of a good steak house, I will buy you a steak dinner and we can plan our scouting trip. Looking forward to meeting you. PS I am going to call the Division of Wildlife to check on the powerbelt bullets and I will post the answer.
deerhuntenokie

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:04 am

As far as I know powerbelts are still LEGAL here. They are not considered sabots.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:21 pm

haha sweet i might know of a few steak houses haha. i no a few bowls and it should be fairly easy to draw in 44 for elk
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

BIGANTLERGETTER
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGANTLERGETTER » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 pm

44 elk muzzle loader is usually a guarantee with 2 points the elk are still singing and the decent bulls are down lower in the heavily wooded areas but still very smart bout what they do best thing is DO NOT GOT BUGLE CRAZY the elk hear to many bugles they are gone cow calls are the best and most bulls in this area will send out a cow to check out for bugles and other cow calls before comin in themselves. during the rut they will bugle all night long an be long gone in the morning
Hunt til there is nothing to hunt, then go farther and hunt harder the big one will turn up

deerhuntenokie
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deerhuntenokie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks BIGANTLERGETTER, I will keep that in mind. We are not looking for a trophy, just a good hunt and hopefully a legal bull. I do like to hear them bugle though, even if it is only at night. At least you know they were there and it gives you hope. Can't wait until June to see if we drew.
deerhuntenokie

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:42 pm

The Powerbelt is legal. Use at least the 348gr.
Keep your nose in the wind.