Colorado GMU 371....

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado GMU 371....

Post by Envious of the West » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello all! For the last two years, I have hunted Colorado GMU 371 for deer. We went in last July to scout for a week.....came up with no deer but saw some really nice bulls. We were anywhere from 10,000'-12,000'. We went to a couple different areas, one was up around slate lake, and another was up near boulder lake. Some incredibly gorgeous country up there!! We ended up pulling two deer out of there this year, but nothing to write home about. I was just wondering if any of you have any info on this area? I am NOT looking for anyone's honey hole....I am just trying to figure some stuff out before the application deadline!! Feel free to PM me also!

Thanks-
Chris
Thanks to all involved with this site, it is a great resource for hunting enthusiasts, both rookies and seasoned vet's!

Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Colorado GMU 371....

Post by Envious of the West » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Here is some pictures from our trips......
Attachments
colorado august 2010 084.jpg
colorado august 2010 073.jpg
colorado august 2010 035.jpg
colorado august 2010 012.jpg
colorado august 2010 027.jpg
colorado august 2010 014.jpg
Thanks to all involved with this site, it is a great resource for hunting enthusiasts, both rookies and seasoned vet's!

Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Envious of the West » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Here is some of our actual hunt......
Attachments
We were fortunate to wake up to snow the first morning....beautiful!
We were fortunate to wake up to snow the first morning....beautiful!
Mule deer #1.  Just under 11,000 ft.
Mule deer #1. Just under 11,000 ft.
PA241076.JPG
Coming out heavy!!  We had to come down early to avoid a incoming snowstorm.
Coming out heavy!! We had to come down early to avoid a incoming snowstorm.
This deer had busted off EVERY one of his points....pretty unique!
This deer had busted off EVERY one of his points....pretty unique!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Don't have help for you, but enjoyed your pics. =D>

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 am

Good job on the bucks. I use to hunt west of there by Deluge Lake, in the Gore range, which is close to the same elevation. The deer hunting is pretty tough in that part of the state. Thanks for the photos and sharing your hunt with us.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Never hunted Colorado but those are some great pics. That's gorgeous up there in July! Looks like you guys had a fun hunt.

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Post by jayb22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Great pictures.

I've never hunted in Colorado but did go elk hunting in the Rocky Mountains (Alberta) this year and saw a few mule deer out there. With me only having 8 days to hunt elk and the rest of the season to chase mule deer I never did try to hunt any up there but did watch them for a while. All of them were up near the top of the tree lines and were seen still moving around close to 10 a.m in September. The ones I saw were coming out of the lower areas and moving up to bed in some thicker brush on the South faces just outside of the trees. I'm not sure what time of year you are hunting up there and I'm sure things would change as the weather gets cooler too. I hope this can help a little.

Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Envious of the West » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks guys...yea it is very cool country up there, why do I live in minnesota again?? Well, as of now I am starting to consider a different unit. I am thinking maybe an archery trip this year.....

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Looks like an amazing place to hunt or just spend any time! Thanks for sharing :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Envious of the West » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Ok guys I think I am going to do a solo high country archery hunt in either 82 or 86. I have been fortunate to harvest one mule deer with my bow, not my biggest one but it is the one I am the most proud of. Anybody know how the deer numbers are in those areas? I am very willing to put in a ton of miles and to go as hard/high as it will take!! Thanks guys appreciate the feedback!

Chris