Wife Drew Her First Tag - Idaho Unit 44

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
byuauhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Wife Drew Her First Tag - Idaho Unit 44

Post by byuauhunter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:53 pm

I came to this forum on a recommendation and posted a little about myself on the roll call.

My wife and I got into hunting late as both of our families were fisherman. It wasn't until we moved to Idaho we finally decided to dive in despite starting from scratch with no experience between us. We have one deer between us (my first Muley in 2009) but just found out my wife drew into Unit 44 (Idaho) for this fall!

I mentioned it in roll call but I've been a small-scale miner for over 10 years and never thought anything could compare with digging a gold nugget. Bagging my first mule deer was right there. It was a trophy to me.

We're both very excited and I'm hoping her first buck is a nice one. We're hoping to garner some advice on Unit 44. Combining our relative inexperience with not knowing the area I don't want to screw this up.

Anyone have any advice or insight into the unit? It can be vague, specific, or anywhere in between. I'm happy to exchange hunting expertise for mining expertise!

A few initial thoughts.

1. We don't have ATV's or Horses. How much help would they be in 44? Is it a necessity? We're both good with horses, should we look into renting some for our trip? Money's tight at the moment but I know this could be a once in a lifetime for my wife.

2. It's an early unit (starts mid-September) How will muley behavior or pattern differ then versus mid-Oct. Is it worth scouting this August or will the deer be long gone come mid-Sept?

Thanks for any insight.