Bipod vs. Shooting Sticks

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
byuauhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Bipod vs. Shooting Sticks

Post by byuauhunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Being new, I'm curious what everyone's opinions on bipod vs. shooting sticks. We hunt SW Idaho. Do you have a preference between them or prefer none at all?

macavity
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Bipod vs. Shooting Sticks

Post by macavity » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 pm

I always carry a collapsible stick with me. I can tuck it in behind my back into my belt and take it out quickly for a shot. If I'm in a good waiting spot, with a snag or tree it's still very useful as a bino rest to help in glassing. I've been glad to have it as an offhand rest when shooting as well.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:52 pm

I use the Bog-Pod tripod, I can get most of it in my pack & pull it out when needed.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 am

Sent you a pm.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 am

I think it depends on the country you're hunting. I used to have a 13 to 27 inch harris bipod. It was a Christmas gift and I was excited to have it, but it wasn't very practical. I couldn't really get a comfortable position behind it. Too low to shoot sitting, too high to shoot prone, etc. I now have the 9-13 inch and it's awesome. I may not be able to use it in some situations where ground cover is too high, but I think it will work. I think shooting sticks would be great. Most seem fairly compact and easy to access when needed. I personally prefer the bipod. It's attached and ready to go when needed, but as I said earlier, they can have their limitations.

wymuley
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wymuley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:04 pm

I saw somebody had the bog pod tripod? Is there anybody else that has experience with them? I have tried bipods and they just don't work as well for me as I thought they would.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 pm

I like the SnipePod. I've been using it for about 4 years now and have no complaints.

Arrow 4
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Arrow 4 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:41 pm

I agree it depends on the counrty you are hunting. For Coues deer in Arizona I'd say it's a must, particularly for the distances you often take shots at. Shooting sticks are lightweight enough to throw in your pack as well.

hunter.erickson03
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hunter.erickson03 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 pm

i carry a set of folding shooting sticks they are light weight and easy to unfold with one hand. plus they work great for a rest for bino's while glassing