Did a little deer hunting this year

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Country Nate
Fawn
Fawn

Did a little deer hunting this year

Post by Country Nate » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:48 am

Sorry for the lack of posts in the last couple of years, but I have been getting into other things in life and deer hunting has taken a back seat. But, I have been accumulating points, and I burnt some of them in Colorado this year. My wife and I drove our camper from our home in PA 1700 miles to my unit. I was hunting my usual way of parking the camper on public land and hunting solo while the wife relaxed at camp.

I was a little disapointed when we first arrived because there were hunters and four wheelers EVERYWHERE. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing and talking to other hunters sometimes, but this was crazy.

Darn near had a shot at a really big buck the first morning as I stalked within 20 yards only to learn the bugger had bed in a position that was next to impossible to get a shot at him.

I hunted this unit several years ago and had forgotton how rough this country was. After a couple of days I was COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED. I admit it, I wanted a four wheeler for the first time in my life. I'm getting old. lol...

After four days of poor luck and 6 pounds lost, I was glassing a small sage flat when I spotted what I thought was a nice buck. He looked like he was in a good position for a stalk. An hour later, we were face to face at 30 yards and I blew it and sailed an arrow right over his back. I rushed the shot and didn't pick a spot. This is a bad habit I have, and it's not the first time it's cost me a buck. After all that work, you can imagine how I felt.

The next evening I decided to still hunt across the back of that same sage flat and there he is munching on some brush. He looked my direction when I drew but it was to late as my arrow passed through his shoulder. He piled up 52 yards later.

I realize alot of you westerners on here have shot much bigger bucks than this one, but for me he is special. A lifelong dream.

Thankful.....

a_bow_nut

Re: Did a little deer hunting this year

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 am

That is a great story that ends with a GREAT looking to finish it up. If you are happy with the buck that you shot then what other people think of it doesn't really matter. I pray that one day that I can close the deal on a buck that size with my bow. Job well done.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:02 am

That's a very nice looking buck. Sounds like you had a great time and you should be proud. :thumb
There's always next year

hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Post by hardstalk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Cool story! And it looks like a perfect shot. Can you get some more pics of him i would like to see a lil more of that kicker on his left side. congrats!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Welcome back Country Nate.......and you did so with a heck of a nice archery mule deer. I love the kickers and mass. Definitely a mature buck. Congratulations and stick around this time.......we like hearing from our Eastern brothers and how their seasons are going.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:10 pm

first off, i dont know anyone who would pass on that buck( unless were talking the big once in a lifetime units)

second: holy cow, what a dandy buck! 10sign:

muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by muzzhunter » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Congrats, that's a dandy buck! You should be proud of yourself. :thumb

Shedfreak88
2 point
2 point

Post by Shedfreak88 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 pm

That is a sweet buck man. Even better taken with a bow congrats gotta love colorado.
"Big bucks didn't get big from being killed when they were young, Let Em' Go Let Em' Grow "-KB

oakbrush
2 point
2 point

Post by oakbrush » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Not a thing wrong with that buck. Congrats.

oakbrush

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:53 pm

BEAUTIFUL BUCK!!! CONGRATS