packing for a lady?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
hardstalk
Spike
Spike

packing for a lady?

Post by hardstalk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Wifes got her first tag this year and Im packing our backpacks for a couple day scouting trip. Any advise from guys who take ladies hunting would be very helpful. Ive packed for myself a hundred times but i assume ladies need more than just the bare minimum.. p.s shes 4 months pregnant. Ive got the normal stuff but the last thing i want to do is find out i forgot something a couple miles in #-o

ABert

Re: packing for a lady?

Post by ABert » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 pm

There is a VERY simple solution to your problem:

Have the lady in question put EVERYTHING she believes she will need in a pile next to her pack. If it won't all fit, have her decide what to leave behind. If it all fits, even better. Then have her try it on for fit and comfort and have her do a five mile road march.

She may end up being fine or deciding there is too much weight. Either way, you are off the hook for ensuring she has what she needs.

Women really like this, you know, when a man doesn't tell them how much of what to bring. She'll appreciate it, really.

Disclaimer: I have not yet tested my own theory, so anyone who does is doing so at their own risk to body and sanity. All rights reserved providing 100% success, no blame accepted for complete failure.

lol
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:49 am

I agree with Abert on some of this...

Let her decide what she she needs.. Once she decides, let her know she needs to get rid of about half of it. Those long hikes with a heavy pack will not be as enjoyable as they could be if there is too much weight. My wife hunts with me frequently and I learned the hard way. I didnt want to fight her on what she thought she needed, but the complaining of how heavy the pack was during the trip made me wish I would have fought my battle before we left. Now, she knows the weight she can comfortably carry all day and what she thought was "necessities" are no longer even wanted in her pack.

I would for sure include a bottle of Tylenol for the journey. Especially if she is pregnant, she can't take the ibuprofen that should be included in everyone's pack.. Also take lots of granola bars or trail mix, my wife seems to need to eat a lot more than me when we are hiking. Be prepared to hike slower as well. It may take you longer to get where you are going, but if you have a wife who enjoys getting out in the hills with you there is nothing better..

here is a photo of my wifes latest hunting success.. A special thanks to AKPhil for his help in getting her a bear. It was her dream to kill a black bear with a bow

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Wow, I couldn't take my wife anywhere when she was pregnant.
heshen wrote:I would for sure include a bottle of Tylenol for the journey. Especially if she is pregnant, she can't take the ibuprofen that should be included in everyone's pack.. Also take lots of granola bars or trail mix, my wife seems to need to eat a lot more than me when we are hiking. Be prepared to hike slower as well. It may take you longer to get where you are going, but if you have a wife who enjoys getting out in the hills with you there is nothing better..
Agree 100%. My wife had a huge problem with morning sickness & heartburn, so if either of those things have been an issue then make sure cover your bases there (nothing could ruin a good morning stalk like throwing up in the bushes!)

My wife & I just had our fourth a month ago yesterday. Patience will be the key. My wife would resent me forever if I were to be "less than understanding" and here she was trying to spend time with me while carrying a gun AND my baby.
I'm jealous though that you're wife would do this, make it enjoyable. For everyone that wishes their significant other would share the experience of a hunt with them... we're rooting for you.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Dont worry. I hunted elk at 7 months prego. In the mountains.. Just know she may not be able to move as well or fast as she could before she was prego. Also, if she has a bump already, shooting prone is OUT of the question. Trust me. It was like laying on a bowling ball... :)
she will need extra water and food to keep her calories up. Other than that, not much different that what you pack for yourself. Women IMO really don't need anything extra to take than a man. But that's me.. have a fun time! !