First Buck!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

First Buck!

Post by waspocrew » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Well I finally had some luck this fall on the opener of the deer hunt. I've been at Utah State for a couple of years, but this was my first time hunting Utah this fall. I bought a spike elk tag as well and had a blast seeing big bulls, but I never saw a spike in the mix. I was definitely eager to find a legal buck this year and not eat tag soup. I've had tag soup for quite a few seasons now and I wanted that to change! I got lucky with my class and work schedule during the elk season, but I knew I had 2 exams coming up during the deer hunt so I wouldn't be able to get out that much.

Opening morning I found myself glassing a group of deer for quite a while. Doe, doe, doe... and then I finally saw a glint of antler! I decided I would try to fill my tag. My 25-06 did it's job on the little guy and I had my tag filled by 8:15 on the opener!

This is my first buck ever (I've been chasing them since I was 12 and I finally got one at the age of 24) and I know he's not much, but I'm dang proud of him! I even recently got into reloading and used one of my reloads to take him down. I hope I don't have to wait 12 more years to come across another one!
Buck.jpg
Buck.jpg (12.66 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
Buck 2.jpg
Buck 2.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 5948 times

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Re: First Buck!

Post by huntfishnv » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Nice deer man.
The Buck Stops Here

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Dang nice job! and to kill your first deer with your own handload and for that handload to be in 25 caliber is almost too much awesomeness all at once. Way to go and best of luck in school from your fellow handloader, 25-06 shooter and occasional small buck whacking friend.---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Congratulations on your first buck. Nice job.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 am

First buck is an absolute blast and builds confidence. Congrats!

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks guys! I'm itching for next season to come again! This fall was a blast for sure.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Congrats, nice little buck to start out with... great job on taking him with a handloaded round. Trophy for sure.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Jfletch
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jfletch » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:01 am

looks like he will eat good,12 years is a long time to wait you should be proud of him , i also shoot 25-06 on deer it is one of my favorite cartridges,comes to life with handloads what bullet? powder? my gun likes 100gr tsx and 4831sc i have been trying to find the time to work up a 110 accubond load seems like the perfect bullet for 25-06

something i do,my grand father started doing this for me and i will do it for my son, he would dummy load the case i took the animal with and attach it to a piece of wood thru the primer pocket,kind of like the cartrige diaplay boxes at cabelas i have every case i have harvested a deer/elk with kind of cool to see them. some guys use the same case to hunt with for years kind of a "lucky" case.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:31 am

Congrats on your first buck Waspocrew. I'll never forget my first. What are you studying at Utah State?

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I like the idea of displaying the cases. I still have the cases from the time I shot my first antlerless deer and elk. The load I worked up for my 25-06 is a 100 gr TTSX along with 51 grains of IMR 4831 and a WLR primer. IT seems to work well for my rifle, but I'd like to try out some others.

Dahlmer- I'm majoring in Exercise Science and I'm looking at either the Physical Therapy route or Pre Med. Still thinking it over. I've got about 2 more years here in Logan before we hopefully end up at U of U.