Utah Tag numbers

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Shedfreak88
2 point
2 point

Utah Tag numbers

Post by Shedfreak88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 am

Thought this was intersting since the first proposal was to drop 13,000 tags total along with making the 30 units. 500 tags cut is a long way from 13,000. But I guess we should have figured that. Whats everyones thoughts on this and what do you think the buck to Doe ratios should be in all 30 units?

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/news/42-ut ... -fall.html
"Big bucks didn't get big from being killed when they were young, Let Em' Go Let Em' Grow "-KB

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Re: Utah Tag numbers

Post by dahlmer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 am

Here are the numbers the DWR is proposing. Page 5 has the breakdown.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meeting ... packet.pdf

Should be lots of discussion come June when everyone finds out what they have drawn. I'm curious to see if the Wildlife Board will stick with the recommendations from the DWR.

Don't forget that they cut 7000 tags for the 2011 season. 500 may not be 13,000, but we are already over half way there.

Uthunter29
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Uthunter29 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Not a bad start however, I don't agree with dropping both the muzzleloader and rifle tags n giving the majority of those tags back into the archery permits. That means more possibility of injured animals not being retrieved and dying on the mountain, if your going to drop the number of tags drop them in all areas, and in my opinion they should shorten the extended archery season I don't agree with hunting deer in their winter ranges. Not to mention the issues with animals being killed right by people's back yards. The buck to doe ratio they proposed seems about right to me.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 pm

dahlmer wrote:Here are the numbers the DWR is proposing. Page 5 has the breakdown.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meeting ... packet.pdf

Should be lots of discussion come June when everyone finds out what they have drawn. I'm curious to see if the Wildlife Board will stick with the recommendations from the DWR.

Don't forget that they cut 7000 tags for the 2011 season. 500 may not be 13,000, but we are already over half way there.
Nothing has been cut in the Central region. Even with most of the units within the central region being under the buck/ doe ratios, they have propossed to add tags to the estimated hunter afield numbers from 2011. Doesn't really make sense to me. :>/
There's always next year

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm

I just hope they know what they are doing. I don't see that they are changing a whole lot in my neck of the woods. I don't mind seeing more archery tags, overall they kill a lot less deer than rifle hunters.

Duckking88
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Duckking88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Jbird +1

I dont have a problem with the archery tags getting more but I do not understand that they have done almost nothing in the old central region to drop tags the buck numbers are way lower than they should be.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 pm

I really like how they have allocated a specific # of tags for muzzleloader instead of going from the same pile as any weapon. As a muzzy hunter it gives me a little bit more of an idea how things could work out for me knowing those numbers.
It does seem to me that most (if not all) those numbers are very arbitrary and very little critical thinking truly went into setting those numbers... case in point with the old central region. It seems like there are a couple units that are going to managed, protected, and coddled as "premuim" type units and the rest could be left to struggle.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:54 pm

This falls under the old "If someone can screw it up, the (insert state) Fish and Game Dept. will". To bad we can't get some people in these positions that actually care about the game.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:38 am

Uthunter29 wrote: I don't agree with dropping both the muzzleloader and rifle tags n giving the majority of those tags back into the archery permits. That means more possibility of injured animals not being retrieved and dying on the mountain.
Sorry my friend, but more archery tags, doesn't mean there will be more wounded deer on the mountain. Just because you may shoot at a deer with a rifle, you are not guaranteed a clean kill. If I ventured a guess, I would say there are more 'bad shots' taken by rifle hunters than by archery hunters. Unfortunately lots of deer are wounded with all three weapons and never recovered. However, I wouldnt say one side, archery vs rifle, should be held more accountable than the other. :thumb

Archery hunters bring in just as much money for DOW's and dont take nearly the same number of deer. I like the idea of more archery tags. Especially since I prefer the sharpstick.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 am

I don't have a problem with them cutting some tags, I'm all for it if it improves deer counts and makes the hunt a better overall experience. I think Utah's big game (deer) are over hunted in many areas. Not enough deer, to many hunters.

I know not everyone agrees with that, but I do. I believe we issue to many tags for the amount of deer we have. Just my opinion.

I also don't have a problem, matter of fact prefer to increase the buck to doe ratios to see/hunt more bucks and hopefully a few 'bigger/better' bucks.

Times have changed, this is and will never be the 'good ole days' IMO.

The tag cuts last year were needed and a good thing to me, obviously were not cutting the original amount, but I'm okay with that also for now. Lets ride this new 30 units for a few years out and see what happens. It will certainly take some work and be interesting for sure. I'm okay with proposals as a whole, but they need some tweaking and adjusting with time. I just hope the tweaking is every year as need and not wait for disaster at the end before we reevaluate and change.

This issue (mule deer) #'s, decline, etc. needs constant evaluation.