10 elk and 3 deer dead..........

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

10 elk and 3 deer dead..........

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:31 am

I just want to spread the word of a farmer around Marysvale who has killed ten bull elk and three deer, and he won't be stopping any time soon it seems. He claims they are doing damage to his property but he's more of a trouble causer and isn't working with the DWR to work things out in a way there won't be blood shed. He won't allow them to take their trucks to take the carcasses of his property and he has done many other unethical things (by my views) along with these. Just get the word spreading, he killed 5 bull elk around Otter Creek last year in some property he owns as well.
"Built Ford Tough"--well that's just not tough enough.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Re: 10 elk and 3 deer dead..........

Post by Muley Stalker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 am

He broke the law. Any reason why they can't go on his property and arrest him? He's poaching.
Keep your nose in the wind.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 am

Do you have a link or cut and paste of a reputable newspaper article we can view on this matter? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to look at both sides before I form an opinion. If what you're reporting is true, then it sounds like while unethical, it's probably not illegal in Utah........otherwise he'd be in cuffs by now???

Damaged crops and wildlife have always been a touchy subject, as I can see both sides.....to a point!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Post by hardstalk » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:09 am

we were told by ndow that were allowed to "haze" and were given a hazing permit wich includes a shotgun and birdshot to shoot deer and elk in the butt. if there were casualties they would come and pick up the animals. we have never fired a shot but spring does bring alot of wildlife to farms and they can be extremely costly to crops and fencing. after a thorough investigation from ndow we are now recieving a wildlife fence that is 8 feet tall around the entire property fully paid for by ndow and dept. of forestry. kind of a bummer because its a blast to have 10 bulls going nuts at your fingertips come september.

i would assume utah has the same measures for farmers and from what i put together from your post he would rather chase the animals around than take the necessary steps in ridding wildlife from his crops.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:25 am

I completely DISAGREE with this guy and his ethics also, flat out stupid and ridiculous IMO. BUT, I don't believe he is doing anything illegal unfortunately. Maybe the laws can be changed in this area in the future? But the reality IS, Elk and deer to 'destroy' crops...thus the reason for compensation/landowner tags that can be sold for money. Thus the reason to NOT kill the animals, if he has 400 deer which I read somewhere (can't remember where) that is a TON of animals. Elk do more damage though by far IMO.

But he should be compensated for damages, which I bet he is. That's why this bothers me, is he is being compensated for damages and still killing the animals. Sounds like they need a HIGH 8' fence to keep them out.

Okay sorry I'm off my rant.

I believe this is part of the DWR's solution...(DH project)

The Division of Wildlife is looking for Volunteers ASAP that would assist with herding elk and deer that are damaging crops on private lands. This will reduce damage payments and destruction of animals. Persistent hazing has been shown to reduce the amount of animals causing damage. This project is located in Paiute County. This project will be supervised by a Biologist who will train individuals on how the hazing process works. If you are interested in this project, please contact Vance Mumford @ 435-979-2919

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:39 am

Sometimes I get a deer/elk voucher from a land owner for thanks in killing some coyotes on their land. I'm under all the same laws as hunting on public property. Keeping all the edible meat etc. I hardly think this guy is keeping all the meat. It sounds like he's just killing them and leaving the bodies lay there. Is that right?
Keep your nose in the wind.

#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:56 pm

BOHNTR wrote:Damaged crops and wildlife have always been a touchy subject, as I can see both sides.....to a point!
Would it help sway your beliefs if I told you last year the DWR gave him over 10,000 dollars and reimbersed him for every deer/elk they counted on his property, and yet he's still killing them? And he is not working with the DWR at all, and being very disrespectful to DWR agents working hard on trying to fix the problem and work on the case.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:22 am

Would it help sway your beliefs if I told you last year the DWR gave him over 10,000 dollars and reimbersed him for every deer/elk they counted on his property, and yet he's still killing them?
Actually, I don't need to be swayed either way. Like I said before, post up a link or press release from a credible source so we can read all the facts.....from both sides of the issue.......before I render an opinion. This, my friend, is the internet and unfortunately not a stand alone credible source. :) Farmers need to make money for their livelihood and elk should not be slaughtered for no reason.

If (and only IF) this farmer is being compensated (fair market value) for crop loss and elk/deer are still causing damage, I know certain state regulations allow land owners to kill the animals responsible for the damage even after compensation. This may be the same in Utah, especially since this farmer has not been arrested or charged with a crime??? Let's face it, if you or I went out there and killed several animals out of season, we'd be in a cell quicker than we could imagine......and justifiably so. One must ask the question, "Why hasn't this land owner?" It doesn't make it right, and it disturbs the heck out of me, but sometimes what's right and what's legal are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
And he is not working with the DWR at all, and being very disrespectful to DWR agents working hard on trying to fix the problem and work on the case.
In my 25 years of law enforcement experience (beginning as a game warden) I can tell you this indisputable fact; many people are disrespectful to law enforcement..........doesn't make it right, or managing a case any easier.......but, unfortunately, it's part of the job in today's low moral society.

I hope both parties can resolve this issue. One thing is for sure, the only true loser here is the elk/deer being killed because they found a place with a free meal and were never invited. That's one of the problems when urban sprawl becomes human encroachment. If the land owner is found to be outside the law, in any manner, he should be hammered for what he's done. Ethical versus legal is a tough battle at times..........but, unfortunately in this case, you can't arrest people for being unethical.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Call Vance, and ask him the opinion on the case, he is the one of many DNR officers who are working very hard to bring Gary Allen to justice and stop this disgusting behavior. Of course he has to stay medium, but talk to him and you'll realize what the true situation is, there is your reliable source.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:52 am

Only thing I could find on the net was from this guy not really a reputable newspaper but definitely shows some shady stuff going on.

http://www.thefatmaninthewoods.com/2012 ... lings.html
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear