UNIT 12B West (Arizona)-Early Hunt

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
telekomkowboy
Fawn
Fawn

UNIT 12B West (Arizona)-Early Hunt

Post by telekomkowboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 pm

Greetings all!, I am new to the site, but have recently drawn a tag for an area that I am not too familiar with. I have a tag for the Oct 26-November 4th hunt. I was hoping that someone might be kind enough to point me in the right direction. I have started to research the area, and hear that the prime hunting in this unit happens in the later seasons. I have harvested several Coues deer in the past, but have not taken a mulie (yet).

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

Noah Gibby

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UNIT 12B West (Arizona)-Early Hunt

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm

I have not hunted your Unit, but from what I know/heard it can be a tough hunt. At least for a big buck, I think the Buckskin north of Kaibab Plateau is part of your unit. Think there is a smaller residential herd that stays there, but from what I understand it's mostly known as a wintering ground for deer moving in from other areas (Kaibab, Pauns, etc.)

Who knows though maybe with some early bad weather, you'll do well. Certainly surrounds some great units, with great genetics.

Sorry that's about all I know.

jdh
Spike
Spike

Post by jdh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 pm

I had this exact same tag in 05, and ended up getting a crabby clawed buck the last day. I honestly had a ball and seen plenty of deer but this buck was the second biggest buck I saw. Had I been carrying a rifle I could have smoked a solid 185+ typical. Ya I do regret it but I always wanted to harvest a buck with my bow on an any weapon hunt. It was hot and dry on my hunt and I mostly hunted the buck skin area, thats were I got this one. Most the people seemed to be their as well. There are other areas that will have a few deer and you maybe able to find a big one, but it will be very tough hunting. The rut was just barely starting to begin and the last few days will likley be the best. But it was for sure one of my most enjoyable hunts.
xxtest.jpg
xxtest.jpg (100.51 KiB) Viewed 7905 times

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm

I had the late tag in 05 and had a ton of fun. Like JDH said it can be hard. I would focus on the Buckskin around the Utah line. Most all these deer actually come off the Puansagant. Hope for some cooler weather and just have a ton of fun. Scout to get to the know the area but new bucks will move in every day.

azoutback
Fawn
Fawn

Post by azoutback » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 am

jdh wrote:I had this exact same tag in 05, and ended up getting a crabby clawed buck the last day. I honestly had a ball and seen plenty of deer but this buck was the second biggest buck I saw. Had I been carrying a rifle I could have smoked a solid 185+ typical. Ya I do regret it but I always wanted to harvest a buck with my bow on an any weapon hunt. It was hot and dry on my hunt and I mostly hunted the buck skin area, thats were I got this one. Most the people seemed to be their as well. There are other areas that will have a few deer and you maybe able to find a big one, but it will be very tough hunting. The rut was just barely starting to begin and the last few days will likley be the best. But it was for sure one of my most enjoyable hunts.
xxtest.jpg
Thats awesome that you bowhunted during a rifle season. Congrats on a nice buck.

jls456
2 point
2 point

Post by jls456 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:20 am

Good luck onyour hunt.

telekomkowboy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by telekomkowboy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input and replies. What would be my best option for an access road into the Buckskins?

Thanks,

Jessedr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jessedr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm

I have not hunted that unit,but talked to a friend of mine that did last year. He said take ALT. 89 and look for roads going north off A-89. also A-89 cuts though Unit 12 AW. That's all he would tell me, but he did get a nice 4x3. Also was a hard hunt, but he had fun. Good Luck. I got Unit 10 same dates.
SERVED- U.S. MARINES, U.S. ARMY, U.S. NAVY. Az. and Tx. NATIONAL GUARD.