ATTENTION NEVADA MULE DEER HUNTERS!!!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

ATTENTION NEVADA MULE DEER HUNTERS!!!

Post by For The Love of It » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:24 pm

For anybody who hunts nevada mule deer I found an article in the Sept/Oct 2012 issue of Muley Crazy that hits home for the mule deer. The article is wrote by Cecil Fredi who is the president of Hunters Alert. The article goes into some depth about the appointed commisioners and the choices they make as well as some Nevada Department of Wildlife statements that are pretty interesting. For anyone who follows the tag quotas in Nevada and seen what was done with the quota this year this article is a must read. I look forward to hearing back from anyone who reads this article (like or dislike) (agree or disagree).

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Re: ATTENTION NEVADA MULE DEER HUNTERS!!!

Post by codyca » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Do you have a link or should those interested just track down the issue? Thanks, Mike.

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I don't have a link to the article unfortunatly. I was going to re type in on the forum but im nt sure how the copywrite laws are about that.

Tyselby17
Spike
Spike

Post by Tyselby17 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 pm

brokenarrow
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brokenarrow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:44 am

i to was intrested when i saw this artical in muley crazy, i agree with it and i cant wait untill that outside organization makes there results public, i have not seen anything promissing with the deer numbers in this state infact i think allot of the quality has droped as well, i usually stand strong with ndow but over the last two years i have changed my views about ndow, if ndow had nothing to hide they would openly accept aoutside 2nd look, but there draging of feet and threats to this outside evaluation of our herds is raising some flags.

MT Backcountry
Spike
Spike

Post by MT Backcountry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 am

I'm not all that moved by this article. These guys seem angry about everything.

Predators are clearly an issue, but game management is a lot more complex than just shooting coyotes.

I'm way more concerned about once productive winter range turning into worthless expanses of cheat grass. Nevada has some of the biggest habitat challenges in the West due to prolonged drought, feral horses and invasive plants.

powwow girl
Fawn
Fawn

Post by powwow girl » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:12 am

I have hunted in the Ruby Mountains almost every season since 1985. The deer are in a rapid decline since the Bald Mountain mine started in 1980. It is very hard to find a mature buck in this area and things will continue to get worse if hunters do not decide to protect this habitat. The mule deer migration and Bald Mountain Mine radio collaring study was completed may 13 2014 and is now on line. Bald Mountain Mines planes to continue expansion to the north destroying more critical deer wintering habitat. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN REMOVE THAT MUCH SAGE, PINIONS, MAHOGANIES, BITTER BRUSH AND WATER AND EXPECT IT NOT TO HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the largest deer herd in Nevada and is already in distress due to severe drought in the state. Barrick mines, A Canadian/UK mining corporation who takes gold from our state at a 1.7% tax rate and no royalty fees, compared to oil and gas at 12.5% even the Dominican Republic gets 39.5%, plan to stick around and exploit their low tax rates and lax EPA regulations. By the way the Ruby Marsh National Wildlife Refuge is already highly poisoned by mercury from the mine. ( see NVDOWS web site on health advisory status of eastern Nevada waters or mercury impact statement from the Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge) January 9th 2015 Reno Gazzette Journal posted an article called ,"Mine expansion may threaten Nevada's largest deer herd". In this article it states that Barrick is "REFUSING"to pay for impacts of loss of winter range in area destroyed by mining activity or include recent collaring data collected by NVDOW in the new environmental impact statement for the expansion. Another fact that bothers me is in the report it was stated there were no prior studys done of the deer before the mine was there, Well what the burn have we been doing filling out those harvest reports every year for. The harvest reports are a longitudinal study of the size, approximate age sex and area harvested. I urge everyone who reads this to join The Coalition for Nevada Wildlife and write our Senators and Governor immediately this is no time to be politically lazy ,believe me Barrick is counting on it.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:57 pm

powwow girl,
Sounds like a total mess for sure, sad deal. Nevada has some serious issues for sure with what is going on. NOT GOOD