Colorado GMU 44 deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
deerhunteralways
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado GMU 44 deer

Post by deerhunteralways » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 pm

I finally saved enough points to get a gmu 44 deer tag for 4th season.Any help would be appreciated.I am looking for any possible advice as to hunting areas( obviously)and also processing recommendations,places to stay,map recommendations and any other useful info.Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Rockymtnarcher
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Colorado GMU 44 deer

Post by Rockymtnarcher » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Congrats! I'm sorry I dont know much about that area other than there are some big bucks in there. Here is a link for a map service that CDOW provides that is some what usefull http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Pag ... tMaps.aspx. I believe there is or was recently a fire northwest of there in GMU 23 that was causing some area closures but I doubt that will affect you at all. The Colorado parks and wildlife website have some pretty good resources on it for hunters like this hunt guide, your area begins on page 30 of the Northwest region http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Big ... uides.aspx. I was fortunate enough to get to hunt last year during the 4th season. The rut didn't start to kick in until after the season but I was able to take a 189 B&C buck. Where are you coming from? I think the best thing to do during the rut is find the does. The big bucks move around so much from herd to herd that it is tough to target certain locations. Good Luck, hope to see your big buck posted on here.

deerhunteralways
Fawn
Fawn

Post by deerhunteralways » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks for the info rockymtnarcher.What unit did you get your deer in last year 4th season?Did you arrow it?I mostly hunt whitetail in s texas but have bowhunted elk around purgatory and taylor mesa in september.I dont have much winter experience however.

ORHunter81
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ORHunter81 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Sorry I don't have any info. I will be just south of you in 444 for the 4th season. I am coming from Oregon and have never hunted the high country that late in the year either. Good luck and hope to see your pics after the season is over.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:27 pm

good luck guys, we will be excited to hear your report. Its not far away
Watch your top knot!

BIGANTLERGETTER
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGANTLERGETTER » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:44 pm

hunt hard and be ready those big bucks aint dumb they have been pushed hunted hard for 3 seasons already. the units not what it used to be but it is still a decent unit.
Hunt til there is nothing to hunt, then go farther and hunt harder the big one will turn up