Re: What would you do?

Post by hound_hunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Anything? :s

Tenner
Spike
Spike

Post by Tenner » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:40 am

Well I found the buck. He was exactly where I knew he would be. My plan was to walk up the finger he was in and I was sure I would find him. It has snowed the night before so there was 6-10 inches of fresh powder up there. I decided to follow the coyote tracks and it led me right to him. One side of him was pretty well eaten along with his insides. When I rolled him over the other side was still good meat was frozen, but with the guts all over him I did not dare to risk it with the meat. I think a mt. lion had gotten to him. He was drug about 30 yards from in the open to under a tree in some thick buck brush. The cat had not been back since it snowed though. Anyway I feel better that I know he is not wounded and suffering up in the mtns. I knew I put a good shot on him and that he was dead. He went about 40 yards down the hill and was done. He is not as big as I would have liked but I worked harder for that deer than any other animal I have ever taken. I feel bad that all I was able to get was the antlers. I made a valiant effort to retrieve him and that is what I did.

After seeing where he was at during the day. There was no way I was going to make it in there in the dark. I am glad I did not try that night. It is very steep and thick.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm glad you were able to retrieve the buck- it's too bad that the animals beat you to him though. At least you were able to get some closure on it instead of wondering if he was only wounded. Any pics by chance?

jls456
2 point
2 point

Post by jls456 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Good for you. Glad you found him. Any pics?

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Live and learn, that's for sure. That made me think about what I will do in the future.....thanks for sharing your experience with us and glad you found your buck. Pictures would be great.