Literature for a new mule deer hunter

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Texasraised311
Fawn
Fawn

Literature for a new mule deer hunter

Post by Texasraised311 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 am

I'm brand new to hunting mid- west. I live in Texas and spend most of my time hunting whitetails. I grasp the idea of glassing for the game and putting a stalk on the selected animal, however does anybody have any tips they would share. I would really appreciate suggestions of some good books on these topics as well as tips that come from experience.
Much appreciated, Connor

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Literature for a new mule deer hunter

Post by TahoeRy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:06 am

I dove into muley hunting a few years ago and the best books I can recommend are Hunting Open Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh and Public Land Muies by David Long. They both pretty much cover the same topics. This is what I do: Find good habitat - for me that means habitat near cliffs or rocks in very high altitude near water. Get your eyes on the ground - I usually backpack into the area so that I can watch them in the evening as the sun is going down and early in the morning. Pattern them - If you find them, watch them. I usually watch them from about a mile away so they have no idea we are there and they stick to their routine. Then its just a matter of getting your stalk on.

Good Luck!

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

I don't know that I can suggest a book but if you can I'd get out and just start watching them as much as you can. You'll learn alot about them doing that.

Texasraised311
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Texasraised311 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Thank you very much ill be sure to remmember!

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:28 pm

1) Get as high as you can. You can watch where they bed.
2) Be glassing at first light. If you don't see what you're after...Move. Typically the bucks don't go very far to bed.
3) Use a spotting scope until they lay down. Don't take your eyes off of them. It's usually not enough to know "about" where they are.
4) Wait...Most of them will get up and feed near their bed in the middle of the day. They will usually bed close by, but not always in the same place. Watch them bed again.
5) Once they're in their afternoon bed, stalk in and and wait them out.
6) Have some patience. If you're willing to wait, you're 90% of the way there. (Sitting for hours is tough!)
7) When he gets out of his bed, he will usually immediately begin feeding, be ready for the shot.
8) Take good pictures, you'll regret the bad ones.

PS......Watch the wind the entire time. It will shift based on the time of day. Figure out what it will do, and keep it in mind.

Good Luck!

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

I have a Kirt Darner book ill sell ya. He used to be one of the best mule deer hunters in the world. :))

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:47 pm

swbuckmaster wrote:I have a Kirt Darner book ill sell ya. He used to be one of the best mule deer hunters in the world. :))
Kirt was a very good Mule Deer finder.
There's always next year

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:56 pm

ridgetop wrote:
swbuckmaster wrote:I have a Kirt Darner book ill sell ya. He used to be one of the best mule deer hunters in the world. :))
Kirt was a very good Mule Deer finder.
thats the first step in being a good hunter. lol