Tag soup yet again

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Tag soup yet again

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm

well after huntn my big ol butt off this year, im stuck eatn that nasty tag soup. it was a weird year. i hunted hard and only cut one track even after the snow. never saw a deer or elk to save me. and every one that i talked to that shot a deer shot it right off the road. kinda makes a feller mad! but oh well i still had a good time just need to keep after it
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

thedoveshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Tag soup yet again

Post by thedoveshooter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:02 pm

My best friend and his dad had a tough time in unit 58. They hunted 7 days without seeing a buck. It wasn't until a cold front that they saw the two they got.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I saw plenty of deer down in 681, at least one wall hanger and 4 to 5 mature bucks that most anyone would take on opening morning. Many more meat bucks including a big bodied small rack 3 pointer.

Problems was...

I didn't have a deer tag. The only elk I saw were in the headlights on the first night after coming back down to camp. Not a lot of fresh sign but enough to keep a fella interested. Hunted hard and never saw an elk since those we saw that first night.

I feel your pain but feel good knowing a good number of bucks will be around next year around the north end of the San Luis Valley.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 pm

yea i hunted high i hunted low i hunted the medium. never seen fresh tracks once. only tracks i seen was a heard of elk that got spooked out from a deep hole. cut one track after the first snow i followed it for 3 or so miles till it went down into a dark deep canyon that i wasnt about to go into. i was in unit 34 and will never hunt there again. opeing morning we counted 100 different trucks with in the first 2 hours. was hunters every where. i mean every where. was a horrible season
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

stillhunterman
2 point
2 point

Post by stillhunterman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 pm

It was a strange year in Utah for the hunts. Elk and deer were simply NOT where they normally were. Once the weather hit and snow was on the ground, a good number of bucks were take, some real bruisers too. I feel yer pain, had almost the same experience here but there is always next year, as Ridge always says! :thumb