Paunsaugunt Management vs. Book Cliffs?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
archerycrazy
Spike
Spike

Paunsaugunt Management vs. Book Cliffs?

Post by archerycrazy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

First of all, I appreciate the input I have received previously on this site when seeking advice/opinions.

I am looking for a memorable hunt this fall and the opportunity to harvest a mature buck. I have no delusions of expecting to kill a record book or 200" inch buck. I am from Southern Utah, but I currently live in Davis County. I have been out of state and the country serving in the military in recent years, so my opportunities to make it back to hunt have been limited. I know I will be around this fall so my brother and I are considering "cashing in" our 10 & 11 points for deer. I don't believe I will have the time necessary to dedicate to an archery hunt, so that is pretty much off the table at this point.

I know there are a number of you on this site that are familiar with the Paunsaugunt Unit, and I have some knowledge having grown up in St. George and spending time around there. I am really considering the Paunsaugunt Management Hunt. I would love the opportunity to hunt that storied unit, even on a management hunt. My other options would be to go for a Book Cliffs or Vernon rifle tag. I believe a Henry's Management tag is realistically out of reach.

So, my question is, which of the above options would you recommend if my goal is to harvest a solid mature buck and spend some meaningful time with my brother? I am not so concerned about score, but I also have bonus points for general deer and know the Pine Valley and other units quite well. I like my chances of killing at least an 18-20 inch 3 or 4 point on those general units, so I would hope for the chance at something larger than I could expect to see on a typical general hunt. Lastly, we just purchased a new home so I am in need of a mount to finalize the furnishings in the home. Something with character would be nice.

Does anyone have input? If you had a chance at drawing one of the above options, which would you choose?

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: Paunsaugunt Management vs. Book Cliffs?

Post by JBird » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am

Tough call. I personally would have a hard time using 10 points on a management tag. I know the Pauns well and I have seen some really cool management bucks but they aren't as common as it might seem. It's a fun hunt, you'll see a ton of deer and they're just starting to rut. I might just consider putting in for a regular Pauns rifle or muzzleloader tag with that many points. I don't know much about the Books or Vernon so I can't really help you there.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm

The Book Cliffs is a great hunt if your expectations are realistic. Lots of deer, lots of bucks, but generally not a lot of 170+ type of bucks. The rifle season can be a bit of challenge until you locate the elevation the deer are at. They will be migrating then and it may take some time to find them.

The Henries management was 100% odds with 11 points last year wich probably leaves you on the outside looking in if you pool your points. You could draw it in another year or two though. I have never done it, but it would be fun to be down there with the bucks coming into the rut. You may even find a really big buck that fits the management criteria.

I probabaly wouldn't use those points for the Pauns. management tag. It's a fun area, but you would probably do just as well on the Book Cliffs.

Don't know much about the Vernon. For guys that know the area, they seem to do alright. Deer can be hard to find and my understainding is the big bucks are hard to turn up.

Good luck!

Goofy Elk
Spike
Spike

Post by Goofy Elk » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 am

Just a quick look at points,
Paunsy muzzy and rifle will both take 12+ points to get bonus tags, just a heads up.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Agreed tough call also IMO. I'm not much help on Book Cliffs, to bad you don't have time for Archery.

I'm not sure I would burn that many points on management tag for the Pauns either?

Here is a sampling of a few bucks from the Pauns last year that are management type bucks.

Let us know what you decide and best of luck.
Attachments
IMG_6420.jpg
3x4.jpg
cam5-026.jpg

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 am

There are some real nice managment bucks on the Henries.

Got these pictures while scouting for my hunt and found that a guy at work has a cousin that shot this buck on the managment hunt that year. I scored almost 190 which isn't to shaby for a managment buck.

Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.