Recommend Permit Numbers - Utah

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Recommend Permit Numbers - Utah

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Tons of interesting info here regarding permit numbers for 2013 big game in Utah.

Check it out...

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meeting ... packet.pdf

Thoughts?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recommend Permit Numbers - Utah

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:20 pm

One thing of several, that definitely I took notice of. Paunsaugunt Management tags dropped drastically since last year, 2012 we had 50 and this year 22. Cut over 50%

That tells me what I already knew and having been seeing, less BUCKS. So the Management tags have definitely been 'working' if you will.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm

I've read thru the recommendations & thought they were fair in relation to the statistics provided... plus no real changes for "my unit" and that's all that matters to most people.

The biggest thing I noticed is the recommended reduction of the Plateau, Thousand Lakes general unit from 400 to 200... based upon those recommended tag numbers why not just put this unit back into the LE pool? I don't think that number of tags offered make it "general." I get the quality argument, but that's an issue on many units & that's why Vernon and Book Cliffs tags were supposedly recommended to be cut.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:51 pm

i wish this was available before the draw period. looks like the unit i put in for is decreasing the numbers. Oh well, maybe two years in a row without a tag....uggghhhh

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Another couple of hundred tags for my unit. Does anyone know how the decide to allot them? I mean there's an extra 200 so will they all be rifle tags or do they divide it up between the three hunts?

I agree that cutting those management tags in half is a good idea. It's a good idea but I feel like a good number of young bucks were getting shot before they reached their potential.

Shedfreak88
2 point
2 point

Post by Shedfreak88 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm still waiting for the drop of 13,000 tags like they proposed in the beginning before they went to units!!!! I really dont think there should be an increase of tags in any unit until tag numbers are dropped to begin with and deer numbers come back up then after 5 or so years think about upping the tag numbers a little bit not by the hundreds! I hunted all rifle hunt hard with my dad and a good friend of ours, see 5 Does the day before the hunt. Never seen another deer the rest of the hunt, 200 tags added to the unit this year awesome idea!!!
"Big bucks didn't get big from being killed when they were young, Let Em' Go Let Em' Grow "-KB