Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
EricD$
Fawn
Fawn

California zone X2

Post by EricD$ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here but, I am active in another popular hunting forum site.

I got drawn for premium zone X2 this year. I have never been to the area but, I did a lot of research before I put in for the tag. I plan on scouting in the area at least once before the season starts. It may be only once due to time/funds. I was hoping for some general guidance on the area. I am not asking for any secret honey holes or anything, just general information on the area. I do not really know what to expect. Hard hunting and hiking a lot? Paying a rancher and shooting one in the alfalfa fields? Road hunting? Whatever it takes. I hunt hard and will do anything to fill my tag as it took my 9 points. I am not looking for an easy answer, just some help from fellow hunters. Thanks a bunch in advance,

Eric

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: California zone X2

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:52 am

Welcome Eric,
Where in NorCal are you from? I have never personally hunted X2 but have hunted all the zones around it many times, X1, X3a, X3b. I helped a friend on the Devil's garden muzzy hunt which is a late season hunt in X2. There were bucks everywhere during that hunt. What are your goals for the hunt? If you just want a nice 20+inch buck, I would not worry with any ranch hunting. If you are dead set on killing a monster, you might start making some calls. I hunt that area in Cali by identifying sage pockets surrounded by timber that are a half mile or so off the road. I will hit up a buddy who lives up there for some more specific areas. Good Luck.----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

EricD$
Fawn
Fawn

Post by EricD$ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Thank you very much. I live near Sacramento. I would like to shoot a monster of course but, I do not necessarily want to pay a ton of money to do so either. I think I need to get up there and scout some specific areas and try my luck that way. Thanks so much for the reply.

bullskin
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bullskin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 am

With the exception of a few late hunts, your tag is probably the best in the state. Deer numbers are up as a result of several light winters and you will see quite a few deer in the 18-20 inch range. A respectable buck will exceed 22 inches and you might find something in the 25+ inch class if you are lucky. Obviously, with the potential to hammer a good Cali buck it will be worth scouting. Get away from roads and find basins or drainages that allow you to glass. Unless you have a connection, I wouldn't waste too much potential scouting time hunting for private access. It wouldn't hurt to repost after archery season to see if any of these guys can put you on a hot lead. Good luck.

jmstrampe
Fawn
Fawn

Re: California zone X2 for 2015

Post by jmstrampe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi all, I just joined and I was searching for information on the CA X2 rifle mule deer hunt in Northeastern California (Modoc County). I drew the rifle tag for 2015 and I see a couple posts here on this forum, but no followup results. Can anybody provide general suggestions what to expect in October and how to hunt that country? I'm more familiar with the little blacktails down south along the central coast in the 100 degree temps in August and Sept. Thanks in advance. Jim Strampe.
EricD, how did you do in 2013?