Colorado Mule Deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
swamphunter14
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado Mule Deer

Post by swamphunter14 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:50 am

My dad and I are looking into going mule deer hunting in Colorado next fall by purchasing leftover over the counter tags. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which units to try and get these tags for or where the best chance of success in taking a deer would be? Any advice is helpful.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Re: Colorado Mule Deer

Post by dahlmer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Why don't you just apply for a unit? The leftover tags are generally for less desirable units or those with a lot of private land issues.

swamphunter14
Fawn
Fawn

Post by swamphunter14 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Well we had thought about that but the chances of drawing a tag the first year entering for one seemed pretty slim.

intelligenthunt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by intelligenthunt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:41 pm

the tag for 37/28 usually has left over tags. As dahlmer indicated with any left over tag you will be hunting with hundreds of your new best friends. I have taken deer here successfully, the trick is avoiding the crowds. weekdays will be better but there's still lots of pressure. look for units with >100% draw odds and also the ones in the big game brochure marked with a * indicate left over tags. if you put in for first choice with no preference points there are several units that have good draw odds and offer decent hunting potential. If you are interested in building a PP then this isn't an option. PM me if you want more info on 37, I will likely be hunting there this year and/or can offer some pointers.

ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColoradoV » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:03 pm

There are a several units that you can draw with 0 points and you could have a fun hunt on a lot of them. Are they are good as the top end units maybe not but you can still have a good hunt with your father.

It is $25 or so a year but you may want to join the hunters trail head web site as there is a wealth of information on there and it is worth the $25. With all we put into hunting the $25 to see the draw odds in a easy to read fashion is invaluable.

You still have almost a month until the deadline for the Co draw. Have some fun looking at units then picking a unit and then bring your father out for a hunt.

swamphunter14
Fawn
Fawn

Post by swamphunter14 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Thanks for the tips and info fellas. I've definitely still gotta good bit of research left to do. And I'll look into that website as well.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:54 am

swamphunter14 wrote:Well we had thought about that but the chances of drawing a tag the first year entering for one seemed pretty slim.
Well sure, but put in just to get a point if nothing else. You MIGHT get drawn. The chances of not being drawn are 100% if you don't put in. I would suggest to put in for the draw, but then be prepared to purchase a leftover tag if you're not drawn. That way you're double-covered. If you're not drawn they'll refund your money anway and you'll already have a habitat stamp.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Leftover tags are not exactly OTC tags. When you buy an OTC tag you can just go buy it anytime. Leftover tags are available on a certain starting date. The second the time they're available you'll have guys all over the state applying all at the same time. You have no chance from out of state. You's have to wait until the next day, and buy online.

It's a real zoo, and I found harder than the draw. Anything leftover won't be worth buying after the first surge is over. Actually, leftover in general isn't that great. Certainly not worth non resident fees.

Try the draw, and if you fail you'll have a point for next year, and you can still try the leftover. You may not be aware, but if you try for the draw, and fail. Make sure you check the box that's for leftover, and not a refund. That way you get a point, and you get to draw again from the leftover list before the general public. If you don't try the draw, and wait for the leftover list. Everything good has been taken by those who failed in the draw, and got the list earlier.
Keep your nose in the wind.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:07 am

Muley Stalker wrote:Leftover tags are not exactly OTC tags. When you buy an OTC tag you can just go buy it anytime. Leftover tags are available on a certain starting date. The second the time they're available you'll have guys all over the state applying all at the same time. You have no chance from out of state. You's have to wait until the next day, and buy online.

It's a real zoo, and I found harder than the draw. Anything leftover won't be worth buying after the first surge is over. Actually, leftover in general isn't that great. Certainly not worth non resident fees.

Try the draw, and if you fail you'll have a point for next year, and you can still try the leftover. You may not be aware, but if you try for the draw, and fail. Make sure you check the box that's for leftover, and not a refund. That way you get a point, and you get to draw again from the leftover list before the general public. If you don't try the draw, and wait for the leftover list. Everything good has been taken by those who failed in the draw, and got the list earlier.
Exactly. Only thing I would correct is that I'm pretty sure you get a point regardless of whether or not you check the "leftover" or "refund" box. I suppose I could be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that if you put in for the draw and are unsuccessful, you get a point period. You can choose the leftover box but some units NEVER have any leftover tags come available. For the last two years I've actually put the preference point code in to get the point. My first year of putting in I actually put the unit hunt code and was, of course, unsuccessful. I know, for a fact, that I chose the "refund" box rather than the leftover box and I was still awarded a point for the draw. So unless they recently changed something, I don't think it matters what box you check in regards to the point.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 am

You need to read what I said again. I never said you won't get a point if you check the refund box.

The point I was making to you is it's better to get in the draw, and check the leftover list box as compared to just waiting for the leftover list offered to the public later in the year.
Keep your nose in the wind.