Small Game in Colorado Unit 711

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Re: Small Game in Colorado Unit 711

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 pm

huntingal wrote:The seasons for most furbearers is Nov 1. Bobcats are Dec 1. About the only small game you will find in Dissapointment (to hunt) are rabbits, coyotes, grey fox, badger and squirrel.

Mirramonte and Groundhog Res. are not too far away-might be worth it to throw in the the fishing rods.
Thanks huntingal! We were definitely hoping to toss a few rabbits over the fire and I've certainly thought about tossing a line should I harvest a buck early enough. I figured the Dolores River might be a good try for some brown trout? I've been fishing my whole life but don't know a thing about throwing a fly-rod, or fly-fishing for that matter. Fly-fishing and gear is completely alien to me. As far as small game goes, my buddy will be excited to hear that he may be able to find more than rabbits. He's going without a deer permit so he's going to by a small game tag and try to hunt a little after I harvest a deer. Thanks again for the information!!

huntingal
Spike
Spike

Post by huntingal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 pm

The lower Dolores River doesn't have much for fish, and I think they are considered protected species. What rainbow trout it did hold have been pretty well wiped out by some otter the CPAW that were a good idea ](*,)

If you want to fish, head for the lakes.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:39 am

huntingal wrote:The lower Dolores River doesn't have much for fish, and I think they are considered protected species. What rainbow trout it did hold have been pretty well wiped out by some otter the CPAW that were a good idea ](*,)

If you want to fish, head for the lakes.
Thanks for saving me some headache! lol. I'll look into the lakes should I have anytime to throw a fly! It's a shame what kind of effects "ideas" can have one the wildlife.... :>/