Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Moon Phases and Mule Deer

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Hey fellas,

So a full moon falls on Thursday November 6th this year. I'll be hunting Colorado unit 711 from the 1st to the 9th.

Here in Texas the moon can really change up the hunting. The whitetail deer feed all night, bed down early and then don't move around until the middle of the day. This is my first time hunting mule deer and I'm curious as to what affect it will have on their movements during this time of the year. I've read up, in a few places, on the subject and everyone seems to have their own opinion and stories about hunting during a full moon week. Anyone here have any advice? Thoughts?

ABert

Re: Moon Phases and Mule Deer

Post by ABert » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:36 pm

In my experience, the moon phase hasn't made any difference with muleys or with elk for that matter. And to be honest, worrying about the moon phase doesn't do any good either. You'll be out there regardless of the moon phase and the deer will be out there, too.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks for the post ABert. You're correct, I will be out there regardless of the moon phase and I WILL be having a great time. I never have worried about moon phases but am a little out of my element when it comes to hunting mule deer. Because we allow baiting here in Texas, when the dinner bell rings, the whitetail come (along with hogs and everything else) unless there are other weather and food source factors in play; like late dropping acorns. When it comes to mule deer I'm inexperienced to be blunt about it. I was just curious if the moon phase changed the times that they actually moved around. Thanks again.

(As a side note, I realize I sound like I'm contradicting my previous post about moon phases and white-tails, but the previous post is more in reference to their natural habits without the use of feeders.)

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:56 am

I still hunt all day into their bedding areas. What the moon does, or when they feed doesn't mean much to my method of hunting.
Keep your nose in the wind.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Muley Stalker wrote:I still hunt all day into their bedding areas. What the moon does, or when they feed doesn't mean much to my method of hunting.
Thanks. I think that's pretty much going to be my strategy. Hunt all day until I find them. Look for sign of mule deer and head in the same direction, then sit when I find a good spot. lol