2014- Recap

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: 2014- Recap

Post by ridgetop » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm not going to be able to get into all the details about this years elk hunt but I will say that it was the best success our family has had in all the years we have hunted this area. Ended up with four big bulls on opening day. My uncle ended up taking the bull on the bottom left of the picture. It was his second bull ever taken, the first one was a spike he shot 40 years ago. I put my tag on the smallest bull of the bunch but hey, it's all about the meat for me.
:thumb
2014 elk camp.jpg
Here's some video from opening weekend.
The bottom bull in the video is the one I ended up taking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXlsiNA ... Fd-3OQ8tOg

Here's a video of some bulls we spotted on the second day while trying to help my wife's uncle fill his tag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rB0MF ... Fd-3OQ8tOg
There's always next year

Scott702
2 point
2 point

Post by Scott702 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Awesome! Congrats on the elk kills, I haven't gotten a chance to hunt elk yet, but I plan on it when I get back from Argentina in a couple years. The first video says it is private and won't let me view it.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:16 am

Scott702, fixed that first video.
Thanks and good luck on your mission.
There's always next year

Scott702
2 point
2 point

Post by Scott702 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:06 am

Thanks ridge!

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Cont...
After I turned off the video camera. The bucks for some reason ran straight down into the bottom of the draw about 150 yards below me and stayed there feeding for about an hour. My cousin met up with me about that time and we watched the bucks work their way back up over the top the way they had come. We followed the bucks hoping they met up with a larger one my cousin had seen earlier. We saw the guy from earlier that morning packing out his buck, so we moved into the next canyon. I was about a hundred yards lower than my cousin at the time, when I bumped the group of 9 bucks. They ran up over into the next canyon, while John was just going over the top himself. He later told me that the bucks ran about 200 yards down the other side, stopped ran into a tight circle a couple times. Then started running back up hill towards him. John knew the bucks must have seen or smelled other hunters and he was afraid they might start shooting. So he quickly hid behind some large rocks. Then the shooting began. The other hunters shot 5 or 6 times. When I finally made it to the top, I saw that a girl had shot the largest buck in the group. It was the one that was scratching its neck in the video.
John watched her as she ran all the way across the canyon to her buck. Then got on her cell phone and was talking on it when I came over the ridge and saw her. Pretty cool to see someone get excited like that.
If it wasn't for the fact that the buck was about 300 yards below us and we were planning on hiking another 5 miles or so, I would have went down there and congratulated her and offered the video of her buck. I have some video of it in velvet too.
Well John and I ended up hiking another 4 or 5 miles and jumped a few small bucks. We finally ended up back in the same canyon where I started the day in and to my surprise ended up seeing close to another 10 small bucks in the last hour before the light faded for the day. The deer had got pushed into that canyon from all the other hunters in the area.
It was really a great opening day.
On a side note, My friends son shot a nice tall 23" wide 4 point down lower in the same canyon.
There's always next year