UTAH Hunt drawing ?'s

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
BHemingway801
Fawn
Fawn

UTAH Hunt drawing ?'s

Post by BHemingway801 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 am

Hi I'm Brad and I'm new to this site. This is my 1st post and forgive me if this topic has been recently covered but I didn't see anything on it in the recent posts. I'd like to open up a general post where people can ask and hopefully get answers about the hunt drawing process. It seems there are ?'s that are hard to get a legitimate answer from anyone. For instance I'm not real sure how the General Deer drawing works anymore. So I know in the Limited Entry drawings that half of the tags allotted for that hunt go to MAX bonus point holders. Does this work the same way for General season deer hunts? When I look back at drawing odds from the previous year it seems that almost %100 of those with bonus points draw the tags. For instance one unit had roughly 350 people with a bonus point and 348 drew tags of the allotted 360 tags for that hunt. The other 12 tags went to the 500 people without a point. So do they give the people with a point 1st chance to draw and give the rest to those without a point??? How does it work?!?!

Also another ? I have is the 5 choices you get to put in for. So if you put in for 5 different hunts, do you REALLY get put in for those 5 units? I've heard the only way you can draw your 2nd-5th choice is if there are left over tags from those choices after the drawing for the 1st choice entrees. Or do you get put in for all 5 choices and you keep the highest choice that you draw (if that makes sense)?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge on the subject.

a_bow_nut

Re: UTAH Hunt drawing ?'s

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:59 pm

For now the general season hunts are set up on preference point system instead of the bonus point system that the limited entry hunts are drawn on.

The way that the preference point system is set up to work is that all tags go to the people with the most points. Then if there are still tags left over they go to the people with the next highest set of points and continues on down until all of the tags are drawn or tags are leftover and will go on sale at a later date.

For your second question the draw follows the same process for each hunt but the way that the 2nd-5th choice hunts go is that they draw for everybody's first choice hunts and then work down through point levels for that hunt. If there are still tags left after everybody that put in for their first choice has drawn then they will move to the people that put in for their second choice and work through those people and so on till they get to the fifth choice. Then if there are still tags left over they will go on sale over the counter. So it is possible to get a second through fifth choice tag but usually it is for a area with very limited public access of very low animal number making for a very low success hunt.

Hope that this made some kind of sense.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:16 pm

So these new late season muzzleloader hunts (because they are considered limited entry) would take your BONUS points away and not preference points correct? If so that's LAME IMO. :)

BHemingway801
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BHemingway801 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:48 am

a_bow_nut wrote:For now the general season hunts are set up on preference point system instead of the bonus point system that the limited entry hunts are drawn on.

The way that the preference point system is set up to work is that all tags go to the people with the most points. Then if there are still tags left over they go to the people with the next highest set of points and continues on down until all of the tags are drawn or tags are leftover and will go on sale at a later date.

For your second question the draw follows the same process for each hunt but the way that the 2nd-5th choice hunts go is that they draw for everybody's first choice hunts and then work down through point levels for that hunt. If there are still tags left after everybody that put in for their first choice has drawn then they will move to the people that put in for their second choice and work through those people and so on till they get to the fifth choice. Then if there are still tags left over they will go on sale over the counter. So it is possible to get a second through fifth choice tag but usually it is for a area with very limited public access of very low animal number making for a very low success hunt.

Hope that this made some kind of sense.

This makes total sense. I figured that this is how that works. Thanks for the input.
Oh... One last question. So does it work the same way for Limited Entry hunts? As far as putting in for multiple choice? Is it pointless (no pun intended) to put in for 2 different LE hunts when you basically have NO shot at drawing hunt choice #2?

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Yes Brett the new MZ hunts do "cost" bonus points, but I think it's a fair trade. That's a topic for a different thread though, don't want to be hi-jacking posts.

As for putting in for second choice on LE hunts the answer is who knows? I know people that have drawn their second choice on LE apps so it's possible.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 pm

JBird,
Your probably right, it is a fair trade. If it helps with Premium LE hunts in any degree that's a good thing. But you know me I'm not for the new hunt in the first place.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:28 am

I know I have 12 NR points and still can't draw a good archery tag. Can't wait until I can dump them and get out of the game there.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:25 pm

BOHNTR wrote:I know I have 12 NR points and still can't draw a good archery tag. Can't wait until I can dump them and get out of the game there.
Have you ever hunted the Wasatch Front archery only?
It's a general season hunt that's as good as most of Utah's LEs.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:42 pm

BOHNTR,
It stinks for RES and NON RES I'm with ya. You should try the Extended like ridgetop said. A guy with your skills would have a good crack at some good bucks. Only downside might be to much pressure from other people but guys kill good bucks every year from there. Are you applying for the Henries?

BHemingway801
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BHemingway801 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:49 am

They are right about the Wasatch Front. I feel fortunate to live so close to such a quality opportunity to kill good deer. It's nice if you get a little bit of early snow, really makes it fun!