Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Re: Utah Big Game Numbers 2015

Post by dahlmer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:27 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/ ... sible.html
What's your thoughts on this guys? I'm NOT for the increase in General Buck tags. Just when things are starting to show signs of improvement and after years and decades of decline...they immediately increase tag numbers...not something I'm a fan of. The details will be out next week, I'd also like these numbers to be released prior to the application process. So I say move the application dates back, because clearly they can't get these numbers in time for application periods...so move the app dates back and have a shorter periods to find our results. 10sign:
I have to disagree with you Brett. I'm glad to see the increase (or more accurately the return) of tags. I don't think the herd improvements are directly correlated to the decrease in tags or the shortened seasons. I think we have just been blessed with some very beneficial weather patterns for a few years now. This trend started well before those policies were put in place.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:08 pm

I have to disagree with you Brett. I'm glad to see the increase (or more accurately the return) of tags. I don't think the herd improvements are directly correlated to the decrease in tags or the shortened seasons. I think we have just been blessed with some very beneficial weather patterns for a few years now. This trend started well before those policies were put in place.
I'm fine with you disagreeing with me. :) But I believe the exact opposite of the trend started well before those policies were in place, I can guarantee you the 5 day hunt did wonders for the Pine Valley Unit (the one closest to me). It was dismal and pathetic and it absolutely helped the deer numbers (bucks) herd out. But I completely agree that the weather for the past few years had been a huge plus and help also. 10sign:

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:37 am

I wonder if antler restrictions would be the way to go in states with decreasing populations of deer...? In Texas, the wildlife department started requiring antler restrictions on harvesting bucks. Bucks started living longer, breeding more, and in general produced better deer. Now, there are some restrictions that I think are bogus in some cases, but for the most part, it's definitely helped the quantity and quality of the deer here. Before, we had every Joe and Harry killing numerous young bucks every season. Essentially, they were killing of potentially nice bucks. I recently took a young deer in CO, but it's not something I will repeat in the future. Rather than increasing or reducing tags, why not just set restrictions on antler size? This way more bucks live longer, breed more. I realize that just creates more hunters hunting a smaller group of deer, but it seems like a decreasing deer population is already creating this situation...