Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Utah Big Game Numbers 2015

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:10 pm

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/ ... sible.html
What's your thoughts on this guys? I'm NOT for the increase in General Buck tags. Just when things are starting to show signs of improvement and after years and decades of decline...they immediately increase tag numbers...not something I'm a fan of. The details will be out next week, I'd also like these numbers to be released prior to the application process. So I say move the application dates back, because clearly they can't get these numbers in time for application periods...so move the app dates back and have a shorter periods to find our results. 10sign:

mapleton archer
2 point
2 point

Re: Utah Big Game Numbers 2015

Post by mapleton archer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:36 pm

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:11 pm

Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:00 pm

not a fan of increased numbers either. I have never liked the buck to doe ratio anyway. it should be Mature buck to doe ratio. we had a great increase in fawn mortality the last 2 years give them a chance to grow before increasing the tag numbers.
As for changing the application date that is the best idea they have had yet.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:23 am

Tag recommendation draft is out.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meeting ... packet.pdf
Thanks for the link.
Couple of things I was really interested in myself...how many of these late season Muzzy tags they would give out? And how many Multi Season tags for Pauns. So it looks like 4 tags for the pauns, which I like...it's pretty much a once in a lifetime tag anyway so why not get to enjoy it for a few peeps each year. On the Zion 10 late tags, 8 for the Pine Valley Unit. I despise these tags, and don't like them at all. :) I just don't like the idea of killing these big bucks in the rut or pre-rut...bugs me. And the big boys are sure hard to find until the rut happens. I'm hoping the rut hasn't kicked in and the big boys show up after the hunts over. Sorry that's how I feel, just don't like this hunt.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah they always seem to come up with some kind of screwy idea that doesn't make any sense.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:53 am

MuleyMadness wrote:
Tag recommendation draft is out.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meeting ... packet.pdf
Thanks for the link.
Couple of things I was really interested in myself...how many of these late season Muzzy tags they would give out? And how many Multi Season tags for Pauns. So it looks like 4 tags for the pauns, which I like...it's pretty much a once in a lifetime tag anyway so why not get to enjoy it for a few peeps each year. On the Zion 10 late tags, 8 for the Pine Valley Unit. I despise these tags, and don't like them at all. :) I just don't like the idea of killing these big bucks in the rut or pre-rut...bugs me. And the big boys are sure hard to find until the rut happens. I'm hoping the rut hasn't kicked in and the big boys show up after the hunts over. Sorry that's how I feel, just don't like this hunt.
I love these new LE tags. It should help out on the point creep a little. I don't think these new tags will do anything to affect the quality of bucks on the units with these new hunts.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:53 pm

I love these new LE tags. It should help out on the point creep a little. I don't think these new tags will do anything to affect the quality of bucks on the units with these new hunts.
I respect your opinion, your one of the great guys out there IMO. I however feel this will do very little to nothing on point creep. The difference to me will insignificant at best. The overall quantity of bucks it won't have much affect on, it's the quality that I do believe it has the potential to hurt...time will tell and see.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:46 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:
I respect your opinion, your one of the great guys out there IMO. I however feel this will do very little to nothing on point creep. The difference to me will insignificant at best. The overall quantity of bucks it won't have much affect on, it's the quality that I do believe it has the potential to hurt...time will tell and see.
Well. I may be wishful thinking but I do think it is more opportunity for those who can't get deep into the backcountry or have access to private ground. Many of these units, except for Pine Valley, have a lot of private property but in late Oct./early Nov., a lot of bucks will move off the private and onto public. Giving the average joe a chance to hunt bucks that normally he wouldn't.
That's my take anyway.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:48 pm

It's the PV unit I'm most worried about, I've seen it decline to pathetic and back. Bring on the 5 day Rifle hunt back. :)