Lucky Hat = Nice Buck

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lucky Hat = Nice Buck

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 pm

My Lucky MM hat did the trick, don't believe me check out this topic from Ridgetop here... :)

http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=16063

I killed this buck on the 3rd day of the Southern Utah Rifle Hunt in Southern Utah. It's been several years since I killed a decent buck, and so I was real happy to take him. I have such respect for these amazing animals, and those who know me know I'd rather shoot them with my Canon than my rifle, but don't get me wrong it's a blast also. I passed on 6 bucks opening day, one buck I passed was pretty good but just not quite what I was after. I was looking for something bigger, and when this guy showed himself yesterday I could tell him was bigger and decided if he gave me the chance I'd take him. I didn't have long to look him over size wise, but he looked pretty good from roughly 500-600 yards or so. I had to quickly close the distance over a big canyon/draw to get within comfortable shooting range. (I'm not into the long distance shooting). :)

He was moving slowly diagonal up a ridge, and I was hoping I could get to where I needed to be before he crested the next ridge never to be seen again. I topped over the ridge I wanted to be on, and at first couldn't locate him...started to get nervous thinking maybe I wasn't quick enough and he had already disappeared...I then saw movement behind some trees and sure enough it was him...he stepped out into a clearly and stopped. He was roughly 40 yards from the top and about 200 yards from my shooting distance. He turned quartering/almost facing me and I let him have a round. I could tell he was hit, but didn't know how well. It was thick with cedars and oak etc. He was making his was downhill and diagonal back to where he had came from...he popped out in a clearing and tried to step over a big oak brush, you could tell he was hit pretty bad. I took a quick shot, as he stepped over the brush and then he disappeared. I waited for a few minutes, then hiked over to the location to find him piled up. I missed on the second shot, but it wasn't needed. He was down and only made it roughly 80 yards from the initial impact/shot. I was alone on the hike and shot, but had my Dad with me on the hunt lower on the mountain. I radioed him for help, and he literally saved my life getting this deer out. He is such an awesome man, and has literally taught me everything I know. He took me hunting to this area years ago, when I was just a kid and it's still one of my favorite hunts ever. I've missed two good bucks in this spot over the years. So it was finally nice to get one, some redemption, and the monkey off my back. We still do it the old school method, drag, drag, and more drag. Plus the old fashioned deer cart. lol

The pack out was brutal through nasty, rocky, thick, oak, cedar, terrain. Couldn't have made it happen without my dad. 10sign:
Hope you enjoy and are successful also.

Brett
IMG_7030.JPG
IMG_7029.JPG
IMG_7020.JPG
The attachment IMG_6982.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
IMG_6982.JPG

ABert

Re: Lucky Hat = Nice Buck

Post by ABert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Congrats Brett on a great buck! Always nice to have someone around to help with the dragging.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Good looking buck.
Congrats.
There's always next year

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:31 am

That's a good buck, Brett.....congratulations!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

mapleton archer
2 point
2 point

Post by mapleton archer » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:41 am

Very Nice! Congrats.

johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Post by johnyutah5 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Good looking buck Brett. Congrats.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Good looking buck Brett! It's hard to beat a tall symmetrical 4 like that.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:58 pm

good luck buck for sure, congrats on getting him :not-worthy
Watch your top knot!

ColoradoV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ColoradoV » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:13 am

Cool buck for sure looks like I need to get me one of the lucky hats!

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:07 pm

That is a sweet buck. Congrats.
Deadi