B&C Typical?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
ABert

B&C Typical?

Post by ABert » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:50 am

I need some help here. I shot a beauty 7X7 muley this year (no, I'm not counting the brow tines, a small kicker of each side). Looking at the rack I and others think it is a typical vice non-typical. My pic is currently on page 5 under "Andy Berthelot". The problem I'm having is going by the B&C scoring guide there is no such thing as more than 4 points on either side. Without the kickers that buck is a true 6 point but it seems B&C doesn't recognize anymore than 4 points. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:34 am

Here is your picture for reference, and I must say he is a BRUTE! AWESOME BUCK!! Brett

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:13 pm

I know little or nothing about B&C scoring but I believe I read that everything over four points is non-typical. I'm thinking I read that in the mule deer museum at Cabela's in Kansas City. Nice deer![/quote]

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:03 am

when scoring a mule deer in the typical format basically what you will have is measurements from the typical frame which will consist of your
G-1 - G-4 so you will count only the for typical components of your deer and any other point would be considered non-typical and would actually count against you on your total score. now if you score him with the traditional non-typical format those non-typical points will not be held as a deduction but as a addition to your total score. if you want further help you can go to the boone and crocket website where they provide step by step instructions on scoring deer.

hope this helps

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:04 am

sorry ABert that last post was from me.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:02 pm

Appreciate the feed back but can't honestly say I'm happy with it. The sides are too symetrical to call it a non-typical in my humble opinion, although I can honestly say I've never seen a muley that branched off six points on each side like this one. Maybe they should open a new catagory for this critter? :thumb

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:10 pm

hey that always stinks when a deer falls in that category. i have killed two deer that would have scored big in a category like you are speaking of. there are alot of times when a muley has too much trash to keep him from the books as a typical and not enough trash to go book as a non-typical.

your deer is one heck of a good deer either way, i would not worry too much about what he scores. i would be proud either way.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:40 pm

I went to the Boone and Crocket web site and I'm not sure I found an answer; is a 6 point non- typical? I believe I read that it is. At any rate it got me to fooling around with a rack I have. If I get it figured out I'll let you know.
Pretty much I have so far: tip to tip=11.25" greatest spread=19.5" inside spread=17.5" abnormal points=1.75 & 1.75 main beam=18&20" normal points= (R)8.75, 9, 8.5, 7 (L) 7.75, 8, 9, 7.5 . The circumferences I haven't figured yet.
After going thru this, I think it's best to figure small, medimum, large and extra large. But looking at the deer in Cabella's in Kansas City, I don't believe I,ve ever seen any like them.

Don[/quote]

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:54 pm

I just got back from the B & C web site again where I found the world record typical mule deer. Taken by Doug Burris in Colorado in 1972, it has 5 point's on one side and 6 on the other. So, what is non-typical?

Don[/quote]

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:16 pm

almost any deer in the world can be categorized as a non-typical if you want. the way the score a mule deer is like this. you have your inside spread, greatest spread not to exceed main beam length. your normal G1-G4s and your four circumference measurements. after that you add all these numbers together to the nearest 1/8 and then any non-typical points will be subtracted from this number, your net score. so for example if you have a deer with 7 on your right, and 6 on your left. you will measure the areas i stated previously, then you will measure your abnormal point. lets say that on your right you have 7" of abnormal points and on your right you have 5.5" of abnormal points. and after you added the typical frame you had a score of say 205" you will then subtract 12.5" from 205" and there you have your net score before mandatory 60 day drying period. so to sum up it really doesn't matter how many points a deer has, you only add the typical frame which consists of 4 circumfrences, your g1-g4's, inside spread and greatest spread not to exceed your main beam length. so if your greatest spread is 30" and your main beam length is only 26" then you only add 26" not 30". and then subtract abnormal inches. and to score a non-typical you would add the abnormal growth instead of subtract it.

ABert, you may want to recheck your measurement, i am looking at the photograph of your deer and i can tell you without hesitation your g2 lenght is considerable bigger than you think. make sure you check the b&c sheet for the exact spot you take your length measurement from. and it also looks like to me your main beam length is bigger than you think. there is a spot on the b&c website that has a score sheet with exact directions on measuring animals.