one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Gutless butcher technique

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 pm

this is a good post on how to butcher your game afield with out gutting

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?nam ... cle&sid=27
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Rodzilla_v
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Gutless butcher technique

Post by Rodzilla_v » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:03 pm

That is Awesome =D> ! I was wondering what I was going to do if I got a WY Antelope tag. Anybody know if there is much waist of meat doing it this way? I'd hate to get to lose some good meat and get fined too.

Anybody have any similar info if you want to cape it to get a head mount?

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:25 am

this is how I would cape it also as you can see in the first picture he has the cape up to the neck you just cut around the back and pull for the neck roast I also take that with me. I don't think there is alot of wasted meat in this way of butchering. most of what I would leave on the ground is what i don't use. Exept like the web shows the Filet under the ribs.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:22 pm

I use this procedure on elk and deer when I have to pack out. Works great :thumb
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:18 pm

i have yet to try this, to be honest i havent had the chance!!!

this will be the year though, this will be the year

9er
Watch your top knot!

COLO3D
Spike
Spike

Post by COLO3D » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:33 pm

I did this twice last year, once on my archery buck and once on a buddies rifle buck. It works very well and there is virtually no wasted meat. It is much cleaner and is supposed to be very helpful on larger game, like elk. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it out on a big bull this year, or a small bull, or a cow.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:01 am

I have used this technique but I split the hide right down the back. The only thing you waste is the tenderloin that you have to access from the inside. I like this style for goats because the tenderloin is so small you are not giving up much (Other than a very fine cut). It is very very fast and allows to get that lope meat cooled fast which on goats I believe is key to optimize the table-fare.

COLO3D
Spike
Spike

Post by COLO3D » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:02 pm

I have not had any problem getting the tenderloin out of deer. You just need to reach in an grab them.

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:37 pm

COLO3D wrote:I have not had any problem getting the tenderloin out of deer. You just need to reach in an grab them.
It is relatively easy to remove the tenderloins, just slip in behind the back rib. No point/need to leave behind the best meat of the critter. I have used this technique for several years, I see no reason to EVER gut another animal. This method allows the meat to cool quicker, is less bloody, quicker, what's not to like/love about it? I would guess I have used the gutless method on over 20 elk, I am a huge fan of it!
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

graybeard
Fawn
Fawn

Post by graybeard » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Have to disagree with this. Anyone that cant roll the guts out is lazy. Ive worked in a slaughter house 21 years and you waste lots of meat. Bring in your beef to butcher and let us do this method you would be out of buisness. Getting the hide off and let the meat set up if you want good meat. Its when people shoot something, then bone it out and pack it out while its still warm or hot that ruins it. Skin it quarter it and hang in shade with a bag and get it the next day ... you have to let the meat "set up." I seen where someone done this to a bighorn and a friend said him and his dad packed out a 5 point in one trip all boned out ..... Yea Right. I even go between each rib and the bones are shiney white not any for the dog even but that is how I was raised.... dont waste game. Please dont reply as we slaughter 120 head of beef a week and are expected to process about 2 ton a day for each person so I have cut a little meat throughout the years. Any ways anyone that says there is little waste bring in a beef and I will use this method for you.