utah deer management hunts

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: utah deer management hunts

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:23 pm

JBird, you brought up a GREAT point. As with most trophy units, folks that draw those tags will not take a big three point...they are lookin' for that "buck of a lifetime". Especially when it takes years to aquire enough points to even start getting excited about the drawing. (Of course, some folks "settle" for em if/when they get down to the last day or two of the hunt and still have not filled thier tags)

I have never hunted either unit but have been around long enough to know what they are all about. Weeding these bucks from the gene pool is NOT a bad idea whatsoever. As we all know, there are some monster 2 and 3 points that will never become monster 4+ points. It's just not in thier genes....and you don't want those types of bucks spreading thier genes through a trophy unit.

Now, Brett brought up an even better point....would you want to loose your points on a draw like this? I guess if I were in Pro's position it wouldn't be a bad proposition whatsoever. However, someone who has been collecting points for years may not want throw them away on a management hunt.

Myself, I think this would have been a great opportunity to create a QUALITY youth hunt for the youngsters. I know there are a LOT of young hunters out there that would absolutely LOVE to harvest a big 2 or 3 point Muley. Heck, what better way to get a young man or woman started Muley hunting?

In other words...what I am trying to say is, a management hunt is not a bad idea and would go a long way in ensuring future trophy calibur bucks throughout both units. However, I think it could have been done a bit differently.

Wasatch Wonder
Spike
Spike

Post by Wasatch Wonder » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:40 pm

To me this managed hunt seems rather torturous. Let's say I qualify and get a permit to venture into the Henries. How painful would that be to be there legally carrying a rife, and to have to find the restraint as those monsters pass by, only to pull the trigger on a 3 point? Maybe I could make myself feel better and refer to it like an east-coast hunter, you know, call it a 6 pointer!
It's a fairly good idea for the hunt and will probably grow on me more after a few years. I do agree with many who have chimed in so far. This could have been handled differently for sure. At least the state is trying a different approach to protect the trophy potential there. As much as we tend to gripe and moan about the Utah DWR, how many other regions in the country cause people to salivate like some of the regions in Utah? I tip my hat to them for producing so many trophy bucks and bulls the last couple of decades. They seem to know what they are doing.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:48 pm

I have 4point and would definatly put in for this hunt if I was to put in for deer. But for guys that have alot of points then probably not. I see nothing wrong with puting the hammer down on a 20"+ 3x4 or smaller.
Deadi

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:25 am

This is a great idea and if it will work for deer it would have worked for elk given the chance

The only loop hole is people will b&m when someone kills a broken buck instead of a buck that is truly a management buck. Having the hunt in the rut is a bad idea. The big bucks will be broken. Just like the bulls were broken. What the heck was the division thinking? Don’t they learn form their mistakes?

Why didn’t they just let them hunt them during the regular rifle hunt?

Great idea management hunt! Bad idea hunt dates!

As far as points I won’t burn my pile on the henneries Ill wait two more years and go kill my buck in my dreams. I however would consider it if I was younger and had no points.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:38 am

I disagree that there are alot of broken bucks out there. I have seen thousands of big bucks and sheds and very few of them are broken. I guess I'll just have to put in for that tag myself to see how many I see. :)
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 pm

I know of a couple BIG 3-points on the Pauns that I wouldn't mind taking for sure.

But taking one with a rifle during the Rut isn't much of a challenge.

Do both sides have to be THREE??

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:31 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:I know of a couple BIG 3-points on the Pauns that I wouldn't mind taking for sure.

But taking one with a rifle during the Rut isn't much of a challenge.

Do both sides have to be THREE??

keep an eye on him for me will ya!! =D>

and as far as weapon choice, its any weapon, so you could go after him with your bow if wanted brett!!

9e
Watch your top knot!

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:46 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:Do both sides have to be THREE??
I'm wondering the same thing. The way I'm reading it is that the buck can't have more than three points on "either" antler. If that's true, a 3x4 wouldn't be legal. Does anyone know for sure?

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm

proutdoors wrote:
MuleyMadness wrote:Here is the real question, PRO and others would you burn YOUR points on this tag??
Well, since I have ZERO deer points, I am considering it. :-k That way i might get to hunt the Henry/Pauns before I die. I have NO problem with shooting a 32" 3X4 on the Henries with a tag I drew with 0-5 points. :thumb
If i had less than desirbale points to hunt a descent unit and take a "good" buck, heck yes i'd like to hunt the Henry's or Pauns for a big managment buck.
I think it's a great idea, especially how they kept it away from the same time the LE tag holders are trying to hunt trophy deer.
There are bucks dying of old age on the Henry's that noone will even take a second look at because of bad genetics, my boy would LOVE to go smoke a big old 2x3 or other management buck within definition with his less than a handful of bonus points.
As for me....i'll get there eventually with my 13! [-o<

What i worry about is will this invite even MORE poaching?? ](*,)
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Here ya go 9er, this is a PAUNS buck. Actually the thing that bugs me is this guy actually has more than 3-points on one side. He has had a double eyeguard every year.

So technically you can't/shouldn't shoot him, but would people really look at the eyeguard and not shoot. (???)

I hope so, but makes me nervous. And he is BIG, I'd love to have this guy but he is older and on his was down hill.