utah deer management hunts

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: utah deer management hunts

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Yea I had the tag in 2002, guess I could possibly get a management tag now eh. :)

Not interested, got my eyes on something better. :)

Serious on the eyeguards huh, guess I learned something new today. :thumb

paunsaugunt 08
Fawn
Fawn

Post by paunsaugunt 08 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 pm

How big of a buck did you kill in 2002 brett? Also what tag did you have archery,muzzle,or rifle?

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Well Brett that big 3 is fair game this year becuase he doesn't have extras but he is way old and not as impressive as years past.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I've heard other people describe their main frame 4 x 4 bucks as 5 x 5s because of the eye gaurds. I've always felt that they were wrong. To me a buck could have triple eye gaurds on each side but would still be considered a four point buck if it were otherwise, a typical mature buck. The eye gaurds don't count towards the casual description of the buck. I do realize that in scoring anything over 1" counts as a scorable point but I wouldn't include eye gaurdsin my side total. Am I wrong on this?
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:03 pm

No, you wouldn't be wrong at all....unless you are talking to an easterner or southerner who primarily hunt Whitetail.

Funny, we have a thread here somewhere regarding this same thing. I hunt both Whitetail and Mule deer and when I am describing my bucks I never count the eyeguards on the Muleys...but ALWAYS count them when talking about my Whitetail.

canyonhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by canyonhunter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:19 pm

I say they make that tag for people who are under the age of 18 and haven't had much hunting experience. That would give them a chance to hunt because a lot of kids don't get to hunt because they don't draw out, like me, i had to buy a spike tag so I could hunt big game.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:51 pm

i think the reason they are counted on white tails is because they are much more prone to have eye gaurds that are 5-6 even 8+"
but i always say the reason easterners count both sides and we dont is because are deer are big enough we dont have to add them together to make them sound bigger lol

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:15 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:I know of a couple BIG 3-points on the Pauns that I wouldn't mind taking for sure.

But taking one with a rifle during the Rut isn't much of a challenge.

Do both sides have to be THREE??
Heres a quote fromthe DWR site

The management hunt runs Nov. 2–6 on the Henry Mountains unit and Nov. 7–11 on the Paunsaugunt unit. If you draw a permit for the hunt, one of the antlers on the deer you take may not have more than three points on it. There's no restriction on the number of points the other antler can have. You can hunt with a rifle, a muzzleloader, or a bow and arrow.

So draw the tag, find a bruiser 3 x 10, and call your taxidermist.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:27 pm

I wont burn my points on this hunt. BUT, I have a 14 year old son who I will put in for it. I would love to have seen the DWR restirct this to a youth hunt.
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:37 pm

The management hunt runs Nov. 2–6 on the Henry Mountains unit and Nov. 7–11 on the Paunsaugunt unit. If you draw a permit for the hunt, one of the antlers on the deer you take may not have more than three points on it. There's no restriction on the number of points the other antler can have. You can hunt with a rifle, a muzzleloader, or a bow and arrow.
Thanks for that info, that certainly makes it more appealing. I'd also like to see them give an early season archery only Management tag and the last season date they already have.