Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
brine
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Post by brine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:57 pm

With these changes what could hurt the Paunsaugunt deer hunts are the constant chasing of the deer right into Arizona to be exterminated there. It will start with the spike hunt and end with the management hunt. That's one big constant push on the deer herd. It was bad before and it will be worst now. Arizona hunters should thank the Utah BGB. I am afraid the Pauns is going down - just hope the BGB is fast to correct their errors if it is an error.

Our USA Congress has shown us all, that (us) John Q. Public is probably smarter than the average bear and that goes our the local and regional officials too. I really think one good thought out letter is worth 10 people at a RAC meeting.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I have to agree with Brine it is stupid to push those deer for three weeks straight. ](*,) Is there even a spike hunt on the Pauns?

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:20 pm

JBird wrote:Is there even a spike hunt on the Pauns?
Starting in 2009 there will be spike elk hunts on ALL but 3 LE elk units, the Pauns being one of the ones that will issue an unknown number of rifle spike elk hunters.

The public overwhelmingly opposed moving the dates, the primary reason was the fear of this allowing more of the bucks to be killed in Arizona instead of Utah where they live all summer and into the fall. The Wildlife Board ignored the public input on this issue.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

brine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brine » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 pm

A few years ago, a friend of mine showed me a video of a study made by a university back East on Whitetail deer that was done in a fenced controlled area. They changed the feed around - watched the different horn configuration - this was done over a period of several years. Little spikes became large monster racks - small two by three's became large 6 X9's or what ever. I can not remember exactly, but the summary statement was this: feed trumps genetics when it comes to horn growth. Those old large three points will most likely always be large three points and they do care on that gene, but a young small two X three's maybe a straight four the next year. They had such an animal in the test and it grew to be a magnificent animal.

The management hunt I agree with, but the way it was done was totally without thought - The constant push, the size. Most of you out there reading this would think that if you drew that hunt you would cull out only the oldest and the biggest management buck, but the mass of the people putting in for this hunt, regardless of the orientation, will just shoot a young three point or two X three which could turn into a monster four X four. In fact if it wasn't for this fact I could certainly go for an archery management hunt. We all know bow hunting is more difficult and a lot of the bow hunters would shoot any young two point or three point that was unlucky to get close enough for a shot. I think a very late season is right for this control hunt because the big o' management deer needs to be as dumb as a rock. What good it's going to do, I don't know.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:02 pm

well i agree with brine all though there are not a ton of pauns tags given out there will be a lot of people in there in a short amount of time with the spike elk. the pressure just wont stop and it wont give time to settle things down .... and its also more pressure than those animals are used to . now i bet there wont be a ton of spike elk hunters in there with every other unit being open and only 1500 more tags satewide given out . but if it is a problem maybe they should move the spike elk rifle hunt later in the year? so it didnt conflict with the le deer hunts.

now i dont spend much time in the pauns but i would think maybe giving a few more reg tags instead of a management hunt would be better! first . ..some of those smaller bucks that will be killed could be the future monsters that would have been taken a few years down th road....second why even do these management hunts! it bombed with the elk ! it just plain didnt work! why screw up the deer ?

brine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brine » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:42 pm

I get so frustrated. Why is it always about elk? The elk are doing so well and the deer so poorly that when and if the BGB is going to error let's error in favor of deer and not elk. I would really like the elk herd on the Pauns to be non-exsistent, not everywhere, just that unit.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:34 pm

I agree we should be focusing on DEER not Elk. The Pauns Elk heard is smaller than it used to be and that's a good thing.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 pm

i think they should focus on both! not one more than the other!

heshen
2 point
2 point

Post by heshen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:38 am

Well im kinda in favor for the spike hunt on the pauns. and only in that area, nowhere else!!! It will exterminate the good elk herds everywhere.. If that happened on the Pauns I wouldnt object.. hahaha But the state just made a big mistake with the spike hunts.. But money beats common sense!

Packout
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Packout » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:54 pm

I tried my best and fought the change of dates. We organized and had many people send emails, but it fell on deaf ears. I am really disappointed with the Wildlife Board on this issue. There is no valid reason to have moved the dates on the Puans, 1000 Lakes and Oak Creek units. One of the poorest thoughtout decisions made by the Wildlife Board and UDWR in a long time.
----------------------------
http://www.sagebasin.com
----------------------------