Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
brine
Fawn
Fawn

Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Post by brine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 am

The Year 2009 brings a big change for the Muzzleloader hunt on the Pauns. The REGULAR rifle hunt on this unit will be two weeks later, than this year, starting on Oct. 17th and ending on Oct 25th. The muzzleloader hunt starts the next day (Oct 26th) and then the MANAGEMENT HUNT starts one day after the ML hunt ends.
This year the archers did better than the ML hunters and next year, with the delay of season, the REGULAR RIFLE hunt will undoubtable be the better hunt of the three. I hunted there when the rifle hunt started the same time as the state-wide general season and it will be, hands down, the best hunt of all, that's my prediction.

I think the MUZZLELOADERS took this one in the shorts. Can you immagine hunting the next day after the rifle season closed and then, trying to find a good buck the last of the season when the managment hunters move in on top of you.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:44 am

I think your dead on brine, not really impressed myself either.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 am

I dont get it?????
the muzzleloader hunt stayed the same........
are you worried about the fact that the deer have no rest in between?
IMHO thats hardly something a LE hunter should worry about.
are you worried that the rifle hunters will kill all the deer?
IMHO the success rate will be the same, possibly the rifle hunters will kill larger bucks? Again, not something a LE hunter should be worried about.
are you worried about management hunters scouting the area during your muzz hunt?
Welcome to trophy big game hunting! How many are there really going to be? A noticable difference compared to the typical amount of recreationalists?

A pauns muzz tag to me means hunting mature mule deer during pre-rut/rut with a primitive weapon. Nothing more, nothing less........ If some of the forementioned things provide more of a challenge, so be it. It'd still be the hunt of a lifetime and fun as HE!!

Sorry for the rant.... I just dont think it's a big deal..... why did they move the rifle hunt anyway? I'm there is a good reason.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:19 am

Chet,

I understand your point, but this is POINTLESS to move things IMO. No I don't believe they moved the rifle hunt for good reason. But that's just my opinion, I think they moved it because the deer are on the move during the rifle hunt. So now in theory it should be a better rifle hunt.

Would it still be a fun hunt, SURE...less fun because of the move YES IMO. So that = BAD. :)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 am

Oh and BTW the first couple of years the Management tag would be a fun hunt and a good tag. But after that, I think you'll see it be LESS than desirable.

Why not have a EARLY management tag hunt for archery only???????

Here is the goal of the management hunt taken from the proclamation...

So what better opportunity to do this than with an early bow management tag hunt with a longer hunt than 5 days??

Makes no sense to me.
Removing excess bucks on the Paunsaugunt and Henry Mountains limited-entry units—while protecting the larger bucks in the herds—is the goal of the management buck deer hunt. These two units have high buck-to-doe ratios. Harvesting smaller-antlered bucks will preserve trophy-class bucks and provide more room for does. Having more does in the herds will result in more fawns being born. Having more fawns will help ensure that these herds remain strong and healthy into the future.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:05 am

So did they move the rifle hunt due to poor success? Were people killing young deer? 90% success doesnt mean squat if people are killing 2 year old deer! Maybe they moved it so more young deer would have a chance to make it to maturity??????? Heck I aint no biologist! lol

brine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 pm

I've hunted this unit with both a rifle and muzzleloader, but probably the most revealing thing to me is my scouting trips between the rifle and ML hunts. The deer are on the move and a person sees more large bucks during that time period.

You had a couple of questions: First - are rifle hunters going to shoot the larger bucks- I say yes due to the fact they are now past the hard area to hunt and in more accessible areas. Second - no days rest - with a constant push - large buck will stay wary longer and most likely will not go into the rut as fast (excluding the weather variables of course). And third - Management hunters will looking for the largest buck they can find during the muzzleloading hunt.

You got to love it if you are a rifle hunter.

You archery hunters just kill me - make the management hunt an archery hunt - give me a break - you have all the advantages now and just keep pushing.

I think they ought to take the archery representative off the big game board and replace them with ML representative for awhile. You might see some benefical changes. I've got to give the archers credit for being very organized. MLoaders are going in every direction, but might look at things that might help ALL hunters rather than what is good for their select group. Yes, I also archery hunt, just don't live it.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Brine,

I archery hunt also, and don't live it either. What's wrong with having an early and late management hunt? I don't see any problem with it. :-k

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:33 pm

The DWR changed the rifle hunt because of the STUPID rifle spike hunt. They didn't want both hunts going at the same time, like there will be very many spike hunters on the Pauns. #-o
I think they ought to take the archery representative off the big game board and replace them with ML representative for awhile. You might see some benefical changes. I've got to give the archers credit for being very organized. MLoaders are going in every direction, but might look at things that might help ALL hunters rather than what is good for their select group. Yes, I also archery hunt, just don't live it.
First, there is NO "archery representative" on the "big game board". In fact, as an archer who is VERY active in fighting for better bow seasons/dates/tags, I contend the Wildlife Board is very anti-archery. Where you get the idea they cater to archers is beyond me. :-k It is the rifle hunters who get the cream, the primitive weapon hunters, BOTH archers and muzzy's,, get the crumbs IMHO. Why/how you are turning this against the archers is beyond me. If muzzy and bow hunters would work together maybe we could get some traction. :thumb
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:18 pm

The DWR changed the rifle hunt because of the STUPID rifle spike hunt
](*,) DUH I didnt even think of that!!! Rifle hunters would have pitched a fit if there would have been spike hunters on the hill!

What a mess!!!!!!!!

I'm a muzz hunter first, and an archer second