West Desert, Vernon

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
teveland
Fawn
Fawn

West Desert, Vernon

Post by teveland » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:53 pm

I have finally drawn a Limited entry mule deer tag in Utah. I drew a West Desert tag and have heard good things about this area in the past but that it hasn't done very well the last few years because of drought, etc. Does anyone have any current info on this hunt?

sawsman
2 point
2 point

Re: West Desert, Vernon

Post by sawsman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 pm

Congrats on your success. There are still a few real nice bucks being taken from this unit over the last couple of years. Lot's and lots of scouting time will pay off. Time on the unit would be a wise choice.

Good luck!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, dosen't go away."-Philip K. Dick

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:17 pm

Which season did you draw?
There's always next year

teveland
Fawn
Fawn

Post by teveland » Sat May 02, 2009 3:59 pm

I drew the any weapon tag in Ocotober

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat May 02, 2009 6:15 pm

You should see alot of nice bucks but the monsters are very hard to find on that unit.
There's always next year

muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by muzzhunter » Sat May 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Congrats on drawing! There are some good bucks out there. I had a buddy who hunted it a few years back and shot a nice 26 inch buck. It was the second largest he saw. It is a pretty big unit so I am sure there are some dandy bucks out there. I have been meaning to get out there and check it out. If I do i'll let you know what I find.
Dave

teveland
Fawn
Fawn

Post by teveland » Sun May 03, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks guys...I will be spending plenty of time out there this summer. I will let you know if I see any good ones.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Thu May 07, 2009 8:07 am

teveland, you have a PM.
There's always next year

carramrod
Fawn
Fawn

Post by carramrod » Tue May 12, 2009 12:30 am

Good luck put in for that unit but didn't get drawn.

kylekirk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kylekirk » Sun May 17, 2009 11:55 am

Scout like crazy down there!! I went hunting w/ my dad down there last year, and have hiked the mts since i was born...When I went on muzzy hunt w/ my dad we saw over 100 bucks easily. Get to know the area real good, if you do you will have a chance to walk upon some of the bucks we saw. My dad got shots on a 34 inch 3 pt, 34 5x6(it was tooken later in the fields), a 27-30 inch 4x5, and about a million monster four pts..If you don't know the area, i would reccomend getting a tour guide named darron(i forgot his last name) he lives in vernon and is my dads cousin....You will have an amazing time i will guarentee it! It would probably be best if you brought some other people with you to help do stalks and stuff...there are some nice deer out in the fields there, but you have to get land owner permission and typically have to pay big fees. My dad shot his buck in Harker canyon, its a good place to go, the back side of the mtn is real good to...last of all i would reccomend going with the muzzy, because only about twenty people draw that tag and it is before the rifle hunt, where sixty people have the tag.....act fast, if you don't get to know the area before the hunt or get that tour guide you will not be nearly as succeseful....best of luck :thumb