Deer and Lions

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Deer and Lions

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:55 am

My father has a rifle deer tag for Central NV and I have been out scouting a half dozen times now. Yesterday I went to an area that doesn't hold that many deer but the chances of finding a monster are better then other areas. I ended up in new country and to my amazement I saw two lions. Seeings how I had a gun and a tag (open year around) I took a shot at one but missed. So my question to you is how many lions have you ever seen while out in the field. Not counting the ones with dogs behind them. To date I'm 20 years old and have seen 8. By the way no big bucks were spotted but her is a picture of the buck I killed out of this area in 2005. What do you think this buck scores and how wide is he?
Attachments
Casey's 2005 Buck.jpg
Casey's 2005 Buck.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deer and Lions

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Sweet buck. Never seen a lion in the field myself, pretty crazy considering the amount of time I've spent out and about.

I'll guess 28-29" on your buck. Thanks for sharing! 10sign:

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:15 am

Great looking buck you got there!!! :thumb You have sure seen a lot of Cats. Before I joined the Marine Corps I used to spend over 3 months straight on the mountain and I have only seen two that didn't have hounds after them.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 am

dang nice buck, would work for us :thumb
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

sharpstick
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sharpstick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am

Nice buck. I've seen three cats while out and about in the mountains. One was chasing the biggest buck on the mountain opening morning of the archery hunt. The cat was a huge tom and was really pissed when he didn't catch the buck. After the chase the cat set on his haunches and switched his tail back and forth like a house cat does when he's mad. Another time I was setting up game cameras and came around a corner of the trail and there he / she was drinking out our a stream. Never did spot me but I sure wasn't about to get his attention. They are big animals and sooo quiet.
Live simple so others can simply live

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 am

I've seen two cat in the mountains and two in town. The first ran right out in front of the toyota land cruiser I was in up diamond fork canyon. There were about six inches of fresh snow. The cat was amazing to watch. After crossing it decided it wanted to go back across the road. It ran along side the cruiser for about a hundred yards. It wanted to go back across in front of the vehicle. The second one I saw was on the Heaston CWMU unit. We saw about fifty dead elk carcases up a small draw. As we rounded a bend at the top of the draw there was a cat sitting just outside her den.

The other two were in the town of eagle mountian.

Great Buck "For the love of it"

I'm not very good at the field judging thing but I'm going to throw out a guess of 190+ gross and 29" wide
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:09 pm

I've seen one cat. I would say your buck is a low 180's type 28" wide.

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Ive seen one Lion in the field near Monte Cristo. Never saw one after that and it was a long time ago (15+ years). That is sure a nice buck you have in the pic there too!
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:31 pm

I myself have came across 3 lions in one day in butterfiled canyon and in 2001 i saw a lion kill a doe not a mile up the ridge i was on. then i watched as the lion fed the snow turned red for a foot around the body. something i will never forget. i wish i had a camera with a telescopic lens i would have had some great pictures
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Man, I was up Butterfield Canyon yesterday. Wish I could have caught a glimpse of one up there.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-