Scouting with Google

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Scouting with Google

Post by jbrower115 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Unfortunately I'm not gonna have much time scouting for elk or mule deer this year ](*,) but what can be done using the topos in google maps and the pictures in google earth? I have like a gazillion miles of ground that I could scout but how do I choose which little parcel? :-k
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: Scouting with Google

Post by ridgetop » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:01 pm

It can help out quit a bit. I have found springs not on the maps. What is hard to tell is how deep the brush is. It may be 2 feet or 6 feet tall, it all looks the same on google earth. I've looked at some ridges that looked open and when I got there in person, I had to do some major bushwacking.
There's always next year

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:36 pm

For what it is worth, if you have a lot of PC time, but not much mountain time; many of the counties in the state now have their plat maps together with aerials. This can kill two birds with one stone in that you can see land owners, parcel lines and see the terrain. That may help you locate specific public spots on the fringes of private areas that may not be hit as much; assuming that there is public access to the public land. If interested, just look up the county's assessor' site or the GIS dept.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 am

Look for necks and saddles. Neck is where the trees pinch down to a narrow area leading to a wide r area. saddles between two adjacent riges are great places to watch. But stay out of the neck or saddle, watch them from higher ground. They act as funnels sort of for game.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:28 pm

where ya hunting someone may give ya a good area to start

jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jbrower115 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:52 pm

CO GMU 51 for turkey, deer and elk. So far I've heard that Jackson Creek and Rampart Range might be worth while, kinda around that weird Shamballah Ashrama place I'm guessing. I know that some of the pictures are way outdated cause the things that have changed on our property since they were taken. So I'm relying more on topography and not so much the trees etc. Those assessor's maps take absolutely forever to load!! They do help though.
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:56 pm

jbrower115 wrote:Those assessor's maps take absolutely forever to load!! They do help though.
That is true; you would have to have your area pretty much narrowed down for it to be useful, but some are much faster than others.