Tanning

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Tanning

Post by jbrower115 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:41 am

I've got this crazy notion in my head that I want to tan my deer and elk hides. :-k I'm sure that I want to do it myself. I've got a book about it and I've puttered around the internet so I have a general picture in my head. One of the common chemicals is alum. Only problem is that there's a little 3 oz bottle for about $3 at the store and I'm gonna need a pound or two. (@@) Anyone know of a way to get some alum cheap? Is there an alternative?
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Tanning

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 am

One of my friends was trying to tinker around and do this stuff too. He actually tanned a whitetail hide and a fox hide using the kit they sell at Cabelas. It is very inexpensive and his hides turned out great! that is what my suggestion would be. :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Top_Pin
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Top_Pin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:18 am

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/
Will have everything you need to know

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:28 am

Top_Pin that is a pretty cool forum you posted up. I had never seen it before. Looks to have lots of great info and some good folks to help anyone out. Thanks for sharing! :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jbrower115 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks guys! I did ask on that forum but haven't gotten an answer yet. Considering that I've never tried to tan or even skin anything but a couple squirrels I might just use the kit from Cabela's.
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jbrower115 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:02 am

Oh yeah....when can I stop being a fawn?!? Seriously how much do you have to post to go to a spike or whatever?

lol

NiceRack
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NiceRack » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm

There is a huge difference between tanning small game a big game. Big game hides require tools and equipment, ie; fleshing beams, knives or a electric fleshing machine and a tumbler. The tanning process is the same for both but the workload is far greater on a big game animal. If your are a beginner you "will" experience problems like hair slipping, cutting through the hide with a fleshing knife and dealing with the correct tanning chemicals ratios. Don't let these setbacks discourage you it happens to all of us! The learning curve can be steep though. I tan most of my small game hides and only about 5% of my big game hides. Tanneries are in business to "tan" hides. I am in the taxidermy business and have found it much more profitable to farm out big game tanning. Good Luck!
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy
Nice Rack Taxidermy.....make your trophy a work of art!