My youngest son's first wrestling tourney

Talk related to anything & everything.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

My youngest son's first wrestling tourney

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Yes, I am a proud father who is going to brag a little.

As most of ya know, I have not been on here near as much as I normally am. However, with work, family obligations, and my kids' sports I just have not had a lot of "computer time" lately.

Well, my youngest son Skylor (age 6) started wrestling this year. As a former wrestler I was pretty stoked that I finally had a boy that was interested in this great sport. After 4 weeks of practice, twice a week, he went to his very first tourney this Saturday.

I can tell you, I was SO NERVOUS that I thought I was going to get sick to my stomach. Although I expected him to give it his all, I figured that since it was his first tourney that he would be eliminated in two matches and then I would have to talk him into continuing with it. BOY DID HE SURPRISE ME!!!! He won his first match by pin in the 3rd round, lost his second match 18-6, won his third match by pin in 20 seconds, and then finally won the 3rd/4th place match 8-6!!!!! He was so excited when they called his name to the podium for his medal...and I was beeming like I had just bagged a world record buck (even more so I think).

Here are a couple pics of him on the podium. He wrestles for the Hells Canyon Wrestling Club. I have a BUNCH of video too but only took these still shots during the awards presentations. (He's the smiling kid on the left as you look at the pic)
Attachments
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Re: My youngest son's first wrestling tourney

Post by fatrooster » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:41 pm

I can see why your proud. Congrats and good luck in the future tournaments. fatrooster.

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Congrats!
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:54 pm

what a stud! that was my only sport, wrestling!

i think that sport will make a boy into a man better than any other sport!

i wrestle with my little 1 1/2 yr old boy now, he's an excape artist- and i believe will be the 118 lb oregon state champ in 15 yrs :)

give him an extra pat on the back from me. that is very cool!! :thumb :thumb

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 am

Sounds like he is a heck of a scrapper for sure! Congrats to both him and you. :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:28 am

Congrats to your son!

Kind of the opposite when my son started wrestling. Spent more time on his back than any other position but still tried...to no avail :)) Still, gotta love watching them!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

zatarain6
3 point
3 point

Post by zatarain6 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm

congrats to your son .
i can remember when abert and myself were kings of the mat at our school . need to see if my kids would be interested in wrestling since they have classes at the olympic training center .

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks guys. Yea, I am pretty proud of the young man!

I wrestled all through my formative years up until I graduated High School but Skylor was the first of my three boys that expressed any interest in it. IMO it is the best sport out there for a young man!

ABert....I thought Skylor would be experiencing the same thing being as he has never done this before. We will see how the next tourney goes...he can't have it this easy every time.