Mountain Horses

Talk related to anything & everything.
bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Mountain Horses

Post by bc.pse » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Im just starting to research on which horse I want to buy, I will be using it for hunting, hunting only, but will ride it alot in the mountains during the offseason too! What are some good breeds they are know for non gun shy and just good horses for packing and hunting.
Thanks
Bridger
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Re: Mountain Horses

Post by ARCHER11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 am

My friends have arabians and quarter horses. Arabians have great stamina and do great on mountain trails from what i hear!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:22 pm

bridger, save yourself some trouble and get mules.. they do not spook as easy and are very dependable.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm

I have taken mules into great consideration, They would be the best hunting animal, but I am concerned that it wouldnt keep up with the other horse? Should I even worry? Mules will pack and you can ride them right?

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:38 pm

My vote would be Mules and Appaloosa's.

Mules will have no problem staying up with any of the horses, but there is a reason why they use the term "stubborn as a mule".
lol
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 pm

I've been pondering this question for the more than a few years and my thinking is a cutting horse or "cow pony". Kind of a mixed breed of sort but sure footed and stamina all day long. If and when the day comes that is what I'll be looking for.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:42 pm

What are the pros and cons of Mules? How much does a mules gear cost?

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:31 am

Take it from a person that has hunted with horses and owned many horses. The best horse for the job you are looking for is a well bred, well established AQHA working cow horse. They are smart, strong, good minded, and can pack more than a big horse can. I think folks get caught up in bigger horses= more weight they can haul, but in my experience that is just not the case. Good solid black feet, strong straight legs, and a good mind all come together in a quarter horse. I had one mare that was about 14.3 hands, 1000lbs, good strong black feet and legs that packed out many an elk, deer and one moose. She was Doc's Prescription, Poco Bueno bred right on her papers. Usually horses that have been roped off of or horses used on a ranch to move or brand cattle are your best bet to drag or haul out game. They are usually use to different smells and the tugging.
If you want to get more particular on bloodlines of the quarter horse, you can't ever go wrong with one that has a good dose of 'Doc's Prescription'. Seem's like all the 'Doc Bar' stallions produced outstanding foals. Doc Tari is also a good one.
Rambling.. Either way, before you purchase, get a good vet check, ride it as much as you can to make sure it is what you want, get a farrier to look at its feet. Also, ask for its vet report history from any vet it has seen so you don't end up with a lame horse or one that has been sick. Good luck.. let me know if you need one.. lol
I am not a fan of Mules. I have owned some good ones, but I prefer a horse. Mules on average are stubborn as burn and rough to ride at any other gate other than a walk. IMO

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:36 am

Great info Muley shed freak :thumb
THE LORD IS MY ROCK