2010 Gear/Trick Review

Talk related to anything & everything.
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

2010 Gear/Trick Review

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Alright folks with the 2010 seasons over for most of us let's share our newly aquired wisdom! Last year I started a thread almost the same but I asked only for the best piece of gear you bought. this year I'd like to ask you all for your best piece of new gear and any new trick you learned.
Since my Western hunts this year were very limited (I drew 0 tags) I focused on filling my 6 NC Whitetail tags. By far the best piece of gear I invested in was a Thermacell! Those things work amazing even in the humid swampy areas with Skeeters the size of birds! Awesome investment!!!
A new trick I learned while bow hunting with a friend from Pennsylvania is always have a few Chem Lights or glow sticks or whatever you want to call them. When you make a shot on an animal close to dark and it is warm out and you don't want to leave them over night these things came in very handy. You can mark last blood sign with them and also mark your entire trail so you can find your way back out in the dark.
Let's hear some of yours now.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Jackson10
Spike
Spike

Re: 2010 Gear/Trick Review

Post by Jackson10 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Well this year i would have to say the best peace of gear i bought was my badlands bino case! i was in some nasty stuff and they protected my binos soo good! and it was extremley handy, And the new trick would have to be either shoot then think or think then shoot because i had a nice buck and didnt pull the trigger, then the next hunt i shot and hit killed buck, only to have the bigger one pop up right next to it. But i guess thats hunting! lol

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Mines on a little different note.. During the opening week of the waterfowl season here in Utah, i found somebody elses decoy floating on the water. When i picked it up it had no keel left on the bottom. So being the thinker i am, i bought a replacement from cabelas, that has a cute little orange propellar on the back of it. Honestly i thought it wouldnt work, but it did give me another "semi free" decoy to add to the bunch. Surprisingly when i took it out to try out the little guy, the prop made that decoy swim all over the water! So i added a 10 foot line to it, and that bad boy has been my best friend since.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 pm

I learned that this was the year that I REALLY wished I had a bull tag instead of a cow tag. Watched two 5X5's and two 6X6's who had no idea I was no more than 125 yards away with a rock solid rest...literally. One of the 6X's was a true wall hanger and the other I don't believe most hunters would have passed on, either.

As for tricks, we learned a few as we tend to get a bit smarter every year but I'll be danged if I can recall a single one of them at the moment lol Odds are I'll remember them next year after we are already up there.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.