I-161 in MT?

Talk related to anything & everything.
northern
2 point
2 point

Re: I-161 in MT?

Post by northern » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm

The residents voted on I-161. Since we live here, and pay taxes, We have the right to say what goes on here in Montana. It obviously was a problem to the majority of the RESIDENTS. It doesn't matter what the out-of-state hunters say. They spend their money while their here, then they leave. WE spend ours here everyday, including Taxes Year round. The out-of-state hunters didnt have a say so. And thats how it should be. If ya want to hunt here then PAY the prices. If not, then dont. Its that simple. WE voted it in. If ya dont like it then your welcome to become a RESIDENT. Then you can try to vote it out.

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:20 pm

If they didnt sell why were there several of our friends that didnt draw??The alternate list is for tags that become avaliable AFTER the draw,you make a phone call.The only thing that didnt sell out were the OUTFITTER SPONSORED TAGS,the ones we just did away with,they wernt available to the average hunter who couldnt pay the extra money for an outfitter.Like I said check your source,you are getting bad info somewhere...Killer,you are in the same boat,80%,really? lol Where did that nugget come from?Im with Northern,if you dont like it STAY HOME,I cant afford to hunt many places Id like to,I dont come on here,cry about it,post ignorant insults backed up by BS data to the residents of those states that decided what it would cost me to hunt there,hopefully this increase will keep your kind at home,there are plenty of hunters who value the states opportunity's and dont insult the people making sure they are here for them.We dont have to "fit in" MT leads the way in Hunting regs,Mt was the first to do away with high fence hunting,game cameras,electronics on weapons,instate stream access,limit the amount of acreage outfitters can lease,outfitter tags,ect ect,dont be surprised to see your state following in our footsteps if they ever decide that hunting is something they want to keep around for the average person.Thanx for taking a stand Northern,nice to see there are a few of us around who are going to stand up and defend MTs heritage. :thumb

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:31 pm

From the MT F&G site...
Alternate’s List

Combination licenses that have been returned for a refund are resold through the Alternate’s List. The sign-up period starts shortly after the drawing in late April and closes mid-May.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks gets a few nonresident combination licenses (big game, elk, general deer and landowner deer) returned for refunds each year. We do reissue these licenses, after these refund requests are processed. A large number of nonresident combination licenses have become available from the outfitters sponsored categories in addition to our normal, refunded licenses. We have Big Game combination, Elk Combination and Deer Combination licenses available (No Landowner Deer Combination available). These are general licenses and you will not be able to hunt in the special permit areas.

NOTE: The combination licenses have sold out.

Hope this will clear up some of your misinformation issues...

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:24 pm

whats funny is once the state realizes the money lost, guess who will get to make up the lack of funds?? residents...........

i realize you only know how hunting works in the only state you've hunted in- and i also agree MT has a great overall look at their hunting, but this will prove to be a mistake. If you look at similer moves by similer states- history repeats itself.

it dont effect me, i dont hunt mt every year. once i decide to to hunt there again- i will . along with any other state. i try and budget in 1 out of state hunt every year- but it's a different state each year.
the guys that will be gone are the guys who have hunted there every year, for years. Once they decide the return isn't worth the investment, they'll stay home.

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:08 pm

With the increase in tag prices we are actually going to take in MORE money than we did even if the tags didnt sell out(the deer/elk combo tags will),we will take in more money and the block management program will lease more ground,ground that res and no res can both hunt.If you do draw a tag remember that could be because there are way better odds for you now,many more tags,a few less applicants,more public ground to hunt,less pressure,you wont be bit%^in then.It amazes me how many of the average hunters this bill was designed to help can do nothing but bad mouth it.Show me where I can shoot a bull elk/wt/md for 912$ in your state in areas that practically cover the state...why dont you raise your state wide deer tag(oh yhe u dont have one) $200,oK your statewide bull elk/deer combo tag to 912$(wait you dont have that either)increase my odds of drawing immensely,open some more ground for me to hunt,reduce the overall hunting pressure and Ill jump on an internet forum and cry about it,cant make everyone happy can you? :>/
You ought to take a look at your home states hunting seasons/prices/management before you worry about ours. ](*,)

northern
2 point
2 point

Post by northern » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:14 am

Yea, What he said......We are still going to sell tags. The tags are going to be a higher price.....we can sell LESS tags and still break even.....That means less hunting pressure......If we sell more tags, then the State makes more money....But you all say we will sell less tags.......thats fine.......Its a win win. If you want to play ya got to pay.....lol lol

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 am

The ranchers I know in Eastern MT say, this is another thing that was pushed by the Western part of the state "transplants" types.

MT population is growing fast but only in the West. Political climate is going where the 3rd-4th generation Montanans don't want it to go.

MT will charge the NR's as much as the market will bear. NR's pay the bills as far as FW&P and energy taxes pay for a good part of the rest.

Big Game Combos will not sell out AGAIN during the general draw. There are usually about 1500 alternates, that maybe down this year.

All applicants that filled out their application properly for the initial draw got a NR BGC license in 2010 and the top few hundred alternates did also.

My argument is only, that 1-161 is not going to make a bit of difference to what the outfitters are doing or going to do.

Oh! by the way my retirement home is in Montana [not in the West] By Fall of 2013 I will have resident status. :thumb

northern
2 point
2 point

Post by northern » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 am

Right on Wayne, =D> I live in the eastern part of the state. Montana is a great place to hunt fish and live. I know of a few outfitters here in the eastern part. 1 in particular that did nothing for the state or the locals around Forsyth :>/ . This outfitteing corparation is based out of state and counted on the guerenteed tags for his clients. It's suprising how on my case "1" bad apple can make up my mind on how to vote. This outfitter and his guides would do everything possible to not help the "mom and pop stores" here. I am hoping that it clears the air of some of these "shaddy " outfits. People will bang heads ](*,) over this topic for many years. But it's going to take time to see how it affects US as a whole. Everyone has their oppions, (and they are entiteled to them). But we should remember that no matter how we all feel. That if we are reading this on this web page, then we must all be hunters, and we share the same passion for the sport. This shouldnt tear us apart, The majority of Montana residents voted it in, And it is here to stay for awhile. Only time will tell how it turns out.

catdogs
Spike
Spike

Post by catdogs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:00 pm

The next time you see one of them "dang out of staters" you should buy him a beer and thank him for funding your wildlife management. As block managaement crumbles due to lack of funding the next place they will look at is raising the resident license.
Guide your life!

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:08 pm

"All applicants that filled out their application properly for the initial draw got a NR BGC license in 2010 and the top few hundred alternates did also."
#-o
Not even close to being factual,dont know why you insist it is....
If everyone that applied drew and there were all these left over tags why would there be so many people trying to get a returned tag off the alternate list?If there were LEFT over tags they would be on the SURPLUS tag list,not the alternate list.You should probably check your source they are misleading you. :-k