Only thing I might not like about the West

Talk related to anything & everything.
Trout&Trees
Fawn
Fawn

Only thing I might not like about the West

Post by Trout&Trees » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:34 pm

The only the thing I think I might not like about the West is the lack of hardwoods. Coming from a forestry background and having grown up in Wisconsin where there are many diverse hardwoods, I've learned to appreciate the variety of trees here. It seems like aspen and birch are the only hardwoods present out west along the Rockys. It may not be so much that I dislike that about the west, but rather I'd miss the hardwoods of the Midwest. Never the less, I have my eyes set on Idaho for permanent employment come graduation this December, but we'll see what happens. Trout, trees, mountains, elk, white-tails, even salmon, rural, and much much more... I can't see not falling in love with Idaho.

Other than that I can't think of any reason not to like the West. So is there anything to dislike about the West? Or any comments?

stillhunterman
2 point
2 point

Re: Only thing I might not like about the West

Post by stillhunterman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:20 pm

I can't think of a SINGLE thing that I dislike about the west (Rocky Mountains specifically). I've been all over the country and all places have thier own atmosphere to enjoy, but I have a special place inside for the western landscape. I have no doubt you will come to love it for its own merits in no time at all...best of luck on your new position! :thumb

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 pm

The wilds of the rockies is beautiful, dangerous and a place to feel truly free. If you're an outdoorsman you should love it.
Mark

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Hardwoods are beautiful in their own right but nothing compared to the rocky mountain west. You will see for yourself I am sure.
Well I would have to say wolves and all their liberal peta freak followers are one thing not to like.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Trout&Trees
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Trout&Trees » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 pm

It is much appreciated stillhunterman, but I don't have anything lined up just yet. I'll be sure to try my hardest though.

Wolves are the talk amongst white-tail hunters across the northern half of Wisconsin as well. It's kinda the same story of reintroduction as it is in the West. So I'm used to it.

I can't imagine not liking it in the Rockys. I've never been further west than Fargo, ND, but it has been very much anticipated. Last night I was watching Idaho trout fishing videos on youtube and I was in heaven. I just might even shed a tear when I catch that first cutthroat, and I know I'll be in awe when that first mountain becomes apparent through the haze. [-o<

paladin
Spike
Spike

Post by paladin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:56 pm

Trout&Trees wrote:The only the thing I think I might not like about the West is the lack of hardwoods. Coming from a forestry background and having grown up in Wisconsin where there are many diverse hardwoods, I've learned to appreciate the variety of trees here. It seems like aspen and birch are the only hardwoods present out west along the Rockys. It may not be so much that I dislike that about the west, but rather I'd miss the hardwoods of the Midwest. Never the less, I have my eyes set on Idaho for permanent employment come graduation this December, but we'll see what happens. Trout, trees, mountains, elk, white-tails, even salmon, rural, and much much more... I can't see not falling in love with Idaho.

Other than that I can't think of any reason not to like the West. So is there anything to dislike about the West? Or any comments?
Mind numbing winter!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Don't worry about hardwoods, there are plenty of them in the river bottoms out West. Not up in the mountains,though.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 pm

The only thing I could think of you not likeing out west is a few people thet come from back east. lol

Trout&Trees
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Trout&Trees » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 am

Well, I should be able to adapt to the winter snow and cold pretty easily. I don't like it, but I deal with my fair share in WI. You can't beat four seasons and that wouldn't be possible without winter. I'm glad people like it where it's warm. They can all pile up in Florida for all I care. :-$

I figured the streams and rivers would be the one place there'd be hardwoods, but I hardly notice them in pictures. Never the less, that'd be all the hardwoods I need to make me happy. :thumb

Haha, maintguy, I honestly couldn't agree more. I definitely understand, but I guess I'd be one of them, too. It'd only take me a day of residence in Idaho to be like "dang them Wisconsinites!". Actually, I have that mentality right now. lol

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Wolves, mustangs, movie stars and liberals. fatrooster.