Personnel Locator Beacon

Talk related to anything & everything.
paladin
Spike
Spike

Personnel Locator Beacon

Post by paladin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:03 pm

My Uncle Jimmie has a personnel locator beam that is fairly inexpensive and works pretty well. I'd like to tell you all about it.

I guess by now everyone knows that I get up to Koochiching County once a year to hunt with my uncle, first and second cousins, and miscellaneous in-law/outlaw relatives that all farm up there. And along with all of you, they have come to realize that I am pretty well citified, and have lost almost all attenuation with nature and natural sense of direction... even with the sun up.

So, even having hunted in the same place for many years; having a guide to my stand on the first morning; an oral briefing how to get home; and with written directions left in the stand for me... occasionally I get lost. The occasion being rifle season's first sundown... every year.

Nobody really worries about it much except Aunt Jenny. The argument usually goes something like this Cousin Sandy says "He spent thirty two years in the Army, invaded two countries and survived Los Angeles, I think that he can survive one night in the outdoors. That'l learn him." Then his mother, my aunt says," Alright, whose turn is it to go get him this year?"

Aunt Jenny, being the good Christian woman that she is, doesn't take no for an answer where the less fortunate are concerned. In less time than it takes to type, Aunt Jenny's emissary is on the highest point of the farm, which is mostly flat, honking the horn with the high beams on. Soon, I am personally located. How soon depends upon how far that I have walked in the wrong direction.

I realize that this isn't the latest technology, nor will it work in everyone's particular circumstances, but its SOP... in Koochiching County! :))
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

paladin
Spike
Spike

Re: Personnel Locator Beacon

Post by paladin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Next year, I'm trying another high tech solution... a big ball of string tied to the farm house! :thumb
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Personnel Locator Beacon

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Really Really, it's that bad huh? lol