Time during the hunt

Talk related to anything & everything.
therookie
Spike
Spike

Time during the hunt

Post by therookie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:44 pm

Just Couriouse to see how long the average hunter actually spends on the mountain a week 2 weeks the full hunt or just a weekend warrior? So how long do u get to spend on the mountain DURING your hunt?

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Re: Time during the hunt

Post by JDavid » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Average I spend half the hunt. It doesnt matter if it is a long season like the archery hunt or a 9 day rifle hunt. Only exception would be LE then I would have to stay out and not come home till I harvested.
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Every day, to include both morning and evening hunts and usually a midday glassing hunt. The only exception would be if we get an animal down on an evening hunt and either spend half the night to get it back to camp or wait until the next morning to get it out. No such thing as taking a day off.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 pm

We dont have an over abundance of mountains down here but, not including year round pig hunting i spend about 90 days in the field total throughout the season.
Romans 13: 1-4

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm a light weight I guess. I've done the muzzleloader deer hunt the last 3 years and have been out Wednesday thru Saturday afternoon each year. I'm out almost the entire day with the morning & evening hunts and the afternoon hikes that take me into previously unseen areas... so by Saturday I'm pretty much beat. I know I have a short amount of time so I lay it all out there for 3+ days (I hiked 10 pounds off last year in 3 days). I won't complain, I've had chances every year, seen a lot of deer, and even fortunate enough to harvest 2 out of the 3 years. I haven't been too broken hearted when it's come time to pack up and head for home on Saturday.
I also get out a couple times and play tag along with my Dedicated Hunter buddies during the rifle hunt if they haven't harvested yet & I'll try something new this year with a general muzzleloader elk tag in November (probably be the same deal...hunt Wed thru Sat). I love those weekday openers!
Last edited by derekp1999 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 pm

i hunt 2 full weeks of the archery season sometimes three depending on what im seeing and time off work. and usually the full muzzy hunt helping out my wife. i try going out on the exstended archery as much as i can but thats usually a weekend or two

sagehunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sagehunter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I hunt the archery season. This year i have got the whole season off of work but i have a wife and 2 little kids at home. :>/ I have to make deals and negotiations with my wife for hunting days. Usually i will go in the backcountry for 4 or 5 day stints. This year my wife has allowed me 16 days give or take. I can usually argue and start a fight for more days if needed.

Vanish
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Vanish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:32 am

I don't know how some people do it. Between work and family, there is no way I could be taking off more than 2 weeks at a time. Then, let's add multiple species in there. Or even multiple state hunts. I would have to be off for 4 months straight to devote the same energy to all of them!

Here is my list of big game hunts and the amount of days I plan on hunting.

Elk - Archery
2, 4, 2, 9

Pronghorn - Rifle

Mule Deer - Rifle
2, 2

Whitetail - Rifle (out of state)

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm

I've been lucky to be able to hunt quite a bit... last year, I hunted either the morning or evening of all but 3 days of the spike hunt and I had a blast. I saw way more animals than I have in the past, but never saw a spike to pull the trigger on. I've got a couple tags this year and I fairly flexible work/school schedule, so I'm hoping to be able to fill both tags this year.