Scared to go hunting again.

Talk related to anything & everything.
killerbee

Re: Scared to go hunting again.

Post by killerbee » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:28 am

i'd say suck it up, just based on pure odds, you had a bear around your camp, and had you confronted him he would have ran off. Obviously easier said than done, but there is no such thing as big foot so that leaves one "realistic" option.

Don't quit hunting solo- maybe consider packing a side arm?

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:20 pm

well i dont know if their is a bigfoot or not but most likely it was a large bear. ive seen black bear track the size of my size 13 boot! haha i wouldnt quit huntn based on one experience. maybe if it happend again yea that be weird but chances are it was just an over sized black bear
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:02 pm

I was sittin on the couch in the cabin one night and heard what sounded like a women being beat to death out front. Awful screaming and generaly a horrible ruckes. As I grabbed my pistol and headed for the front porch the sounds seemed to rise up into the air and the violence continued up on the metal roof of the cabin. My imagantion went into overdrive and I hesitaded for moment as the sounds seemed to be rolling down the roof toward me. Alot of crazy things went threw my head in the few split seconds it took to swing the light and the gun up to deal with what ever it was. The light hit two sets of giant yellow eyes that blinked on and off and a small stream of blood running down from what looked like a small racoon carcuss pinned between to Great Horned owls. Never knew that they would hunt as a team. Anyway the trick is when your are in the great lonesome by youself just remmember that mankind has dominated this earth for thousands of years and can kill or cripple anything that walks craws or swims. Like my first sargent keep telling us back in the day, if ya know your going under be it man or beast take with ya. Besides how do ya know your living if your heart don't skip a beat once in a while?

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Dont be scared to get back into the woods again. I had one crazy experience while camping with my wife about 7 years ago. We were camping near a lake called Tamarack Lake here in Lake Tahoe and at about 11pm we started hearing some very loud and angry growling and howling. I have been around a ton of bears while living in Tahoe and this was not a bear or a mountain lion. It was the scariest growling I have ever heard in my life and it freaked us out so bad that we ended up abandoning our tent and sleeping in our car with our dogs. Luckily we were car camping at a remote lake but honestly, if we hiked into an area and heard those kind of noises, it would of been a different outcome. Im not sure if we would of just packed up and left or started a big fire or what. I hear odd things in our forest here from time to time. About once a year I hear something hitting logs against trees while out scouting or hunting. The last time it happened I was about 4 miles from any trail in a very, very remote canyon. The knocking sounded like somebody hitting a tree with a baseball bat about 30 - 40 yards away, but the thing is there are no homes in that area (about 20 miles to the nearest home) and no trails. The forest is so thick that you cannot get an ATV into the area either. I don't know what it was but I really doubt it was another hunter. It really gets you thinking!!!!!

stillhunterman
2 point
2 point

Post by stillhunterman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Been a solo hunter most of my life, and have seen/heard some strange stuff. Been scared a couple of times :) but continue to hunt solo when I can, though age has slowed me down some. Posted this little "occurrence" I had in Cali a while back on another forum. Yeah, the hair does stand up in some situations! I would agree with the other posters, don't quit going solo, just keep yer eyes and ears wide open!

------------------

I have had a few strange/scary/unsettling things happen to me while enjoying the great outdoors. Once had a badger up above Kamas on the Provo chase me while fishing (think he wanted my stringer of fish but I wanted them more); been charged by a Black bear (all turned out well except for my underwear); been stalked on more than a few occasions by cougars; and the following experience which still leaves me with the chills.

I was hunting the Marble Mountain Wilderness area in Northern California in 1995 the final week of the season. It had been a very hot hunt, the mid 90’s every day. My second to last day I decided to hunt a canyon I had been eyeing on the topo for a couple of days but hesitated to do so before because of it’s remote location from camp, some 3 miles away. It was a bit farther than I wanted to pack out a deer but heck, I was getting down to near desperation time.

I watched several doe and a couple of small blacktail bucks feed in a bowl near the top of the canyon for a while, and as the day grew hotter, I decided to swing over the ridge and still hunt the north side of the next canyon. I dropped down into the thick pines a few yards and stopped to let my eyes adjust to the much darker view. It was a lot cooler and I was hoping a nice buck would be bedded down just below. It was around noon, so I pulled some jerky from my fanny pack and settled down to watch and listen. It wasn’t long before the dead quiet of the woods overwhelmed me. Not a chirp, not a rustle of leaves, no breeze, nothing but still, unrelenting silence. Even my chewing seemed magnified. I slowly made my way down a few more yards, one or two steps at a time.

Then it hit me. A pungent, rank smell began to fill the air. I stood silent and still, eliminating the critters in my mind that might be causing the smell. Definitely not skunk. Much too musky for bear or deer, and I was pretty sure there were no elk in this area. The hair on the back of my neck pricked and I began to get a very, very uneasy feeling. I could just make out the other side of the small canyon, about a hundred yards across. It had a fair amount of tall Manzanita and Chamise, with a scattering of Pines and Quakies.

The strong odor was becoming noxious, as I scanned the far side. I coughed suddenly and loudly, quickly putting my hand over my mouth to stifle the sound. Then I heard it: the crashing of brush, hard and fast . I could clearly see the thick brush on the far side swishing and moving, like a plow was pushing it aside. I could hear branches snapping loudly. My senses were filled to a fever pitch and my heart was racing like mad. I needed no further excuse to turn and beat tracks up hill to the other canyon I hunted earlier.

I didn't stop until I reached the far side of that same canyon. I was out of breath and my leg muscles burned like heck! I couldn't fathom what had just happened. To this day I still don’t know what kinda critter would have that effect on me. The sound of antlers on limbs is pretty distinct, and I sure didn't hear that. Who knows, maybe it was a big old bear who winded me in no wind...

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am

Sasquatch?
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:17 am

Good Lord........suck it up, get hard, and don't let the mountain over rule your brain and win! I've done MANY solo trips, never been scared......but lonely a few times.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:51 am

Where in Colorado? A lot of the western part of the state is over 9k feet. I would have snapped some pictures of those tracks. Maybe a Chubacabra?
When I am solo, my senses seems to be enhanced 10X, I've heard and seen strange things that rattle me, but after thinking things over, most of the time, it is just my imagination, and I am able to make sense of things.

GregJefferson
Fawn
Fawn

Post by GregJefferson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:08 am

It's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only hunter who's had a frightening experience in the wild. Its a conflict in that I love to hunt, but was thinking about not ever hunting agai. I am not a believer in bigfoot or sasquatch or whatever people call 'it' now. But I know what I heard and saw and it made me pee myself a little as ashamed as I am to admit it. I've enrolled in some self defense classes this last week or so and I am already learning some takedown moves if it ever gets physical with some unknown creature in the wilderness. This isn't even in Alaska where there are grizzly bears and brown bears. I know those bear have been documented as actually hunting humans, and even begin eating them while they sleep! So if I go to a different spot and know more about how to defend myself my chances of survival go way up. Not to mention I may actually shoot a buck this time!!

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Here's something also to think about. Be on the lookout for marijuana growers. Marijuana when just cut down and drying, can smell very strong and musky. There's a chance when startled, the grower may run. But there's a chance they may hold their ground and fight to the death. I once wandered into one of their camps and to this day, that's the closest I've felt to dying in my life. After that, I got my controlled firearm permit and will carry when out alone. So be aware of your surroundings.
There's always next year