Elk and crossbows

Talk related to anything & everything.
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Elk and crossbows

Post by maintguy47 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:16 pm

I have wrecked my left shoulder and arm after I had put in for my NM draw. I've drawn another archery tag for Sept. Doc says no way by then if ever on the bow. Devastating to me was born with a bow in my hand. Anyway I was wondering if a crossbow will take an elk . 100% clean kill if I do my part. I would have to use a bi-pod to hold it up. I'll eat the tag if it won't do the job,just looking for a good option for this season.

ABert

Re: Elk and crossbows

Post by ABert » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes, a crossbow will take an elk. What you really need to find out is if you can legally hunt with one in NM and what you would need to submit to the state to use one, if legal in the first place.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Pruneemac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Ditto-
I guarantee a Xbow will kill about anything. A friend had shoulder surgery and bought an Excaliber Xbow. that thing was amazing! 350FPS and shot 2" groups at 50 yds!

ntspdy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ntspdy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but looks like your out of luck unless you can be classified as a mobility-impaired hunter. Not sure what it takes to become a certified mobility-impaired hunter but if I were in your shoes I'd at least ask.

"Crossbow and Bolt: Crossbow use is legal during “Any Legal Sporting Arm” hunts and
“Muzzleloader” hunts. Crossbows may be used by a certified mobility-impaired hunter during
any season. Sights on crossbows may not magnify targets or project light if used by certified
Mobility-Impaired Hunter for a archery only hunt. Bolts must have broadheads with steel
cutting edges. No drugs may be used on bolts. Bolts cannot be driven by explosives."

NM 2013 Regs page 10

"Types of Legal Sporting Arms
Any Legal Sporting Arm: Centerfire rifle or handgun; shotgun no smaller than 28 gauge, firing
a single slug; bow and arrows; crossbow and bolts; or muzzleloading rifle.
Archery Only: Any bow and arrows. Crossbow use only by certified mobility-impaired hunters.
Muzzleloader, Bows and Crossbow: Any muzzleloading rifle; bow and arrows; and crossbow
and bolts."

NM 2013 Regs page 39

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Any chance you would be able to shoot with the other arm? I've known right-handed people that got hurt just before the hunt, and quickly taught themselves to shoot left-handed in time for the hunt (Pete Shepley, owner of PSE for example). Just a thought, especially if it is a permanent injury, and you don't want to give up bowhunting.
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:48 pm

mobility impaired is no problem. Im workiing on a brace that goes from my rib cage to my elbow at a 45 degree angle and will exstend out to a sort of cup at the palm of my hand. Basically will strap my arm to it put the bow against the cup like it was the palm of my hand and draw. I,ve always shot open palmed anyway.Im gonna work the bugs out of it and see if I can be accurate with it.I love a challenge.. but if it doesnt work a 100% in a couple of months Ill take my paperwork in and get certified. It just seems that a crossbow is to much lke rifle hunting yuk...ha ha.Thanks for the help.