To small of a caliber

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
C-rad
Fawn
Fawn

To small of a caliber

Post by C-rad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 am

I get told all the time that my 222 is to small to hunt deer with. I got the weapon when I was young for hunting groundhogs. First used it for deer when I was 14 because I hurt my shoulder. I couldn't use my 270, even the small amount of recoil with that hurt severly. So my dad said try the 222. People don't understand I only make head shot when I use it and its not like a lot of hunters who take their rifle out sight it in and they think that is ok. I hunt varmits all year around. On a good year I probably shoot a few hundred rounds. To me it is a lot easier shooting a deer in the head at 100yds than a groundhog at 300. I would just like for people to quit judging the rifle and judge the shooter. So far I never crippled a deer but the same people who talk crap about me the 222,crippled more than there fair share with there 30-06. I know they will never change their mind set but hopefully they will just keep their comments to their self. I do enjoy when I am cutting mine up there isn't any damage to the meat and easy to clean but when I we cut thiers up the front shoulder usually screwed up pretty good.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: To small of a caliber

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Wowsers,

Where did that come from? Did I miss something? I don't think anyone on here put you down for using the 222 rem to shoot deer in the head at 100yds. I would not personally chose this method, or recommend it to just anyone, but it sounds like you have a system that has worked for you in the past. I personally don't like head shots on game, and would usually recommend .22 caliber shooters to use a premium bullet like the Barnes x, or Nosler Partition and then shoot conventional shots, but once again, what works for you you make work. I just don't understand where the defensiveness comes from.------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:40 pm

i killed a little whitetail in mexico 1 year with a 222. the guy we went down with wanted us to use their guns so we didn't have to worry about crossing the border. it worked, the buck dropped from the neck shot at 75 yrds, but i wouldn't use it again- on purpose.
it would be similer to framing a house with hand driven nails- it workes, but there are better methods i.e. nail gun.
or still using a horse drawn wagon to go downtown- it'll get you there, but there are alot better ways to get there I.E. a car
or using a type writer to reply to this message- i could mail it to brett and he could post it, but it is much simpler to just use my computer.

i dont really understand the defencive post ??? i dont believe anyone said anything negative about you or your .222. have at it, are you posative that you could let the buck of a life time walk away because he is 150 yrds and is only showing his heart and lungs for you to shoot at? i have a hard time believing anyone could do that. it would be nice to have even a 24-25 caliber when it happens- wouldn't it?

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Headshots are risky. The brain of a deer at 100 yards is a small target. Anything else is a wounded deer. Much better to go for the area just behind the shoulder.

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Good for you that you have the confidence to use your rifle, knowing you can drop a deer at 100 yards.

Just don't plan on using it out west as most states have a minimum of .240 caliber for big game.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

C-rad
Fawn
Fawn

Post by C-rad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm

I have a 300mag for out west. I don't mind shooting 300yrds. I just been getting e-mails from people I hunt with. Everybody on this site is helpful. I am just trying to see how other people look at this.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:42 pm

300 yrds with your 300 win mag, or 222? 300 yrds with your 222 is pushing it. but if you can hit the eyeball every time, might as well shoot 500. (???)

C-rad
Fawn
Fawn

Post by C-rad » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:00 am

The farthest kill I made w the 222 was a groundhog 320yds. I miss a lot at the distance. My average shot at a deer is usually less than a 100yds. Can't really see any farther than that unless there is snow on the ground. Last couple of chances I got to hunt rifle is was unseasonably warm.