Thumper Montana Whitetail

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
spike
Fawn
Fawn

Thumper Montana Whitetail

Post by spike » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Gang,
Sorry to be MIA for so long from this great site. Just returned from a good trip to the last best place on earth - Bozeman Montana. Took my best Whitey ever and thought you guys might like a peek. 7 X 6 non typical, eyeguards 9 1/2" X 9", heavily palmated on both sides. My buddy who owns the ranch said it is the greatest non typ he's seen on that ranch in 30 yrs. He saw this Buck in full velvet and said it was absolutely awe inspiring. All you gents that hunt Canada, Iowa, Kansas, etc. i know, I know, He isn't a monster, but this old hunter is glad to have him.
As far as score.....I have no idea, didn't measure him, dont plan on it, doesn't matter. Take a guess.

Good Hunting,

Spike
Attachments
scan0001.jpg

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Re: Thumper Montana Whitetail

Post by halibutaddict » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:10 pm

115"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Not sure on the score, welcome back. :)

Cool looking buck with lots of character for sure. CONGRATS!

Top Gun
Spike
Spike

Post by Top Gun » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am

Looks like a monster to me! Congrats!

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Great buck spike! Good to hear from you too. I love all the mass which is the most important characteristic to me in a monster Whitetail.--------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:58 pm

That is one pretty buck!! Congratulations. You can enjoy and appreciate him for more than what he scores.
Mark

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Thats one unique and great looking deer! He looks to be an older deer which is great cause he has had plenty of time to pass along those great genetics. The way he palmates and the little stickers everywhere are really cool, and if anyone asks how old he is tell them "as old as he is gonna get."
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

jls456
2 point
2 point

Post by jls456 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Wow! That is a very nice buck? Are you gonna' get him mounted?

shmobag
Spike
Spike

Post by shmobag » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:38 pm

nice buck. love the eyeguards. 10sign:

spike
Fawn
Fawn

Post by spike » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Boyz,

And now.... The rest of the story.

I shot this buck across a wide deep ravine (174 yds ranged). This particular burn hole was filled with a type of thornbush that I am not familiar with. The thorns are 3 - 4 inches long, it's over my head in spots, and so thick you can't drag a rope through it. After getting a good line ( I thought) I tried to go directly toward the spot I saw him fold. No luck. After climbing and crawling around for 10 minutes I didn't know if I was even close to where I wanted to be so I climbed out and back up to where I had taken the shot. The really brutal part of all this was I had to take my rifle and pack with me because I figured if I left them in that mess I might never find them again. Long story sort of short, after three round trips, my orange vest ripped off and missing, a thorn through the bottom of my palm exiting the other side of my hand at the base of my little finger, me, my rifle, and my pack are about as wrapped up and bumfuzzled as humanly possible. I looked around at ground level and saw just a bit of white about 8 -10 ft away that turned out to be the underside of this buck's tail.

Sorry to be so long-winded but the best is yet to come. I got my wyoming saw out and cleared enough of the thornbush to clean up this buck and hung a couple of pieces of papertowel on the thorn above him so I could eliminate another round of hide and seek when we came back for the retrieval. After gathering up my gear I crossed back over the ravine to where I had taken the shot and stopped for a blow. Thought I'd glass back over to check the visibility of my papertowels. As I'm looking at them I see movement in the ravine about 30 - 40 yds from my buck. A buck stands up that I would bet my life scores 160 - 170. Monster 10 pt, high,WIDE, and long. I am shaking so bad I can't keep him in the 10X's so I lay down and steady my binos on my pack. As I'm getting a good look at him his twin brother stands up right next to him . CONTINUED