my 07 whitey

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
southwind
Monster
Monster

my 07 whitey

Post by southwind » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 am

Since you made the new section I moved my post here too.

I went out to western kansas for my prairie mule deer hunt and just could not get anything to work. My only good stalk for a nice heavy 4x4 was skirted by too many doe eyes.

I also have become concerned about the herd. Seven years of drought has really taken it's toll to the point I am considering laying off myself for a while. The state has taken some steps to help but I think it will take a while to see any positive results.

Anyway, I headed to the flinthills to chase whitetails for a few days. I am hunting a steep limestone ridges that fall off to river bottom. The ridges start off high treeless prairie then are covered in dark heavy hardwood timber down to the river.

This day at 2:30 p.m. I went to a new stand we built this year that is about 25 foot in a locust tree. The wind was bad with 40 mph plus up above but it was calm under the canopy. That did not stop my tree from moving like crazy with it's upper branches subject to the wind. I am all strapped in good but it still makes me uneasy so I sit on the plat form and hang my bow up.

At just 15 minutes later I catch movement and here is a good looking buck moving fast through the thick bottom. I have to stand up grab my bow and find the buck. He is moving to an opening behind a tree I ranged at 30 yards. I have now drawn my bow and as he enters the opening he stops. As my brain is telling my finger to trip the release the bucks starts moving again and my arrow hits a lot farther back than you ever want.

As the shot plays over and over in my mind after an hour I climb down to check the spot where I shot the buck. I find my arrow coated with blood and see right off a very heavy blood trail leading away.

I do not want to push the buck so I head back to the truck and wait for my hunting partners to come out. After they come out we talk it over and it is now four hours later and we decide to go ahead and track the deer. The blood trail is heavy with blood having pumped out both sides. We find the deer some eighty yards from where I shot him.

I have to say I tried Rage two blade broadheads this year and have never had a broadhead cut a wound channel like it did.

A main frame 4x4 or 8 with matching cheaters and a back sratcher.

Image[/img]

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 am

Glad you did, would like to see this forum grow also. Thanks

What a cool buck again! :thumb

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Brett, I think it is perfect the way it is. I love mulies and am glad that is the primary focus here and now a little taste of whitey to go along with elk and pronghorn etc. fits nicely.

As a guy that lives on the edge of whitetail and mule deer country I can tell you that all of you a little further west need to get acustomed to seeing more and more whitetails.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:45 pm

NICE BUCK!!! :thumb
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:26 pm

Southwind that is a great adventure. NICE BUCK and good shot. Thanks for sharing the hunt. :thumb

And that little extra JUNK Your buck has off the sides is REALLY COOL!!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks for sharing southwind! Nice buck! :thumb
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6